Tyrant

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
I searched the forum and didn't see a single post (not even thread, but post) about this band.

Tyrant is a U.S. Heavy Metal band that formed in 1978, put out a demo in 82, but didn't release their first full-length until 85 (timing helps). Their sophomore album from 87, Too Late to Pray, is a bit of a cult classic. Shadow Kingdom recently re-issued their entire back catalogue on CD and vinyl. Heavy Metal with epic and doom elements.

The band re-formed recently with Rob Lowe (ex-Solitude Aeternus, ex-Candlemass) as the new lead singer and released a new album, Hereafter, this grand year of 2020. As you would guess, the addition of Lowe took the band in a doomier direction which I find quite pleasant (listen to "Fire Burns" and the title track).

Not 10/10 buy or die, but the old stuff is gritty heavy metal thunder and the new album sounds promising.

BLM Black Metal from Greece. You can't make this shit up.

0021823406_10.jpg

first song was not my thing. never liked that high pitched wailing

second song was much better. riffing reminds me of 80's Sabbath

Reactions: SonOfNun
First song is pretty bad, I listened to that before this thread got all homoerotic. After a few beers I'd probably make invisible orb stance though.

The doom shit is pretty rad, I might have to pick this one up someday/somehow. I went through an History of Heavy Metal kick a few years ago, this would've fit right in.

Reactions: SonOfNun
I wasn't sure about old Tyrant either but I appreciate the raw energy of their speed tracks. That's not all they were though. If you listen to the next song on the record, "Babylon," it has more of those epic, doomy tendencies that came out in full on the new record. Give that track a shot. I don't know if it means anything, but Too Late to Pray scored a 94% over 6 reviews on MA so I'm not the only one who thinks there's something there (although I wouldn't go that high). I might actually like their 1996 record King of Kings more.

I've been going through that same kick and exploring the foundational and early bands of each sub-genre. That has gotten me much more into a lot of classic bands than I ever would have imagined. So of course I like Iron Maiden more, but I enjoy finding these lesser known little gems (I like to root for the underdog). Another one is the band Incubus (NOT THAT ONE I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING), also known as Opprobrium which released a killer death/thrash album called Serpent Temptation in 1988. They're still around releasing awesome Death Metal albums that hardly anyone knows about (they had one last year). I probably prefer this new Tyrant to the old stuff too since I prefer the move towards Doom and because Lowe is a great vocalist.

I wrote my initial OT post pre-coffee so was a little confused to which song/s I was listening to, ha. I'd probably be more into the early shit if I paid attention. And so I shall, soon even! I haven't heard of Tyrant until you made this thread.

I went down the path of Manilla Road, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Cirith Ungol, Pentagram, etc. a few years ago and had a pretty amazing time. I always loved Pagan Altar but never explored deeper for many years, for some silly reason.