U.S. Metal Festivals vs. European Fests

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
Not sure how many people here are from the U.S. compared to people from Europe, but this can be a great topic to discuss.
Seems that the festivals in Europe are very diverse compared to the U.S. I Forgot the name of the metal/classic rock/jamband fest that is coming to Europe this summer.
Seems to me that people overseas are very open-minded towards music where as Dimmu Borgir,Anathema, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Phish all at the same fest would never happen here.
Ozzfest is SHIT compared to most European fests.

DISCUSS...
and cheerz:kickass:

Most good extreme metal bands hail from Europe. The way I see it, the U.S. has nu-metal and metalcore, and Europe has metal. Of course this is an exaggeration, but it points in the general direction. Somtimes I would kill to live in Europe.

there is no comparing the 2. its like apples and shit. fests in europe, no matter how big or small are completly different to american fests.
~gR~

MILWAUKEE METALFEST-used to be good but has fallen apart
OZZFEST-hit or miss(at least nile and LOG are there for free)
GIGANTOUR-not sure if mustaine is doing it in 07 but ive seen some killer shit over past 2yrs(opeth,archenemy,fearfactory,dream theatre)
NEWENGLAND HARDCORE-just too damn many straight-edge bands

So who has been to wacken ETC.??

i think one thing that euro fest have that american fests dont is the camping and overall social aspect. you cant pitch a tent on the sidewalk at ozzfest. but at fests like wacken or party-san, camping is half the entertainment. its like a tiny metal tent city.
~gR~

i think one thing that euro fest have that american fests dont is the camping and overall social aspect. you cant pitch a tent on the sidewalk at ozzfest. but at fests like wacken or party-san, camping is half the entertainment. its like a tiny metal tent city.
~gR~
Partying all night with fellow metalheads? im there

I too would also kill to live in Europe. Americans are too concerned with "whats popular" and "what sells" than anything resembling actual good music.

Well hailing from Vancouver, BC, there are not many festivals to attend. Actually none. Tuska Open Air, last summer was the first festival I had been to and I can say that I'm definitely going back every year. Especially this year with Immortal and Emperor on the bill (so far).

Just from observation I think that Europe has much better festivals in quality of music and general entertainment. I don't think I've ever had as much fun as walking around the grounds outside of Tuska and meeting fellow metalheads, drinking and just having a great time in downtown Helsinki.