UAD Neve 1073 Review With Waves Scheps 73 and IK Comparison

HOFX

Apr 12, 2012
the differences seem more obvious in the saturation...... the IK sounds most saturated to me which makes the ring come out of the snare lots but makes the kick a little distorted too. the UAD has a nice balance and sounds at least as good as the IK if not better. the waves sounds a little weird saturation wise and EQ wise to me.

I'd love to grab a UAD system of some kind but the price and limited resources really puts me off. I'm sure the IK multimedia plugin could be matched closer with a little effort and is WAY better value in my opinion.

I saw this on YouTube. The UAD completely destroys the Waves version.

Totally agree.

+ You guys should hear and feel how good the UAD Neve 1073 is as a preamp while tracking with the Apollo with the Unison technology. It literally turns the Apollo preamps into a Neve. UAD not only nailed the 1073, but the preamp simulation coupled with the hardware sync is incredible.

You can't beat a $3,500.00+ preamp simulation for $300.00 when it sounds this authentic. UAD... Keep the preamp sims coming!!! LOVING IT!

I just checked this out again, and the Waves version is the MONO instance where I'm presuming the UAD is stereo.

Has anybody else compared the two?

Would be really cool to see this once VMR gets released!
- May 14th....

I'm waiting on VMR and am more interested in seeing that compared against Acqua Trinity EQ. UAD is a no go, Waves not interested, and IK Multimedia is...I don't know, there's just something about those plugs that are 90-95% of the way there, but it's a big 5% lacking.

...and then testing VMR 1176 compressor against the Lindell 1176 plug.

I really like the 1081 EQ from IK. Its been a go to of mine since I picked it up, and I haven't always been a fan of their warez. I recommend demoing it to anyone who's looking for a colorful / musical sounding four band. What I dig about that style of EQ is there are just enough options to do your filtering and sculpting of things but not so many that you have to consult the manual or start second guessing your ears. When I get a free weekend I am gonna demo those new API EQs they just released.

I do dig the UAD one a touch better in this example, but not enough to make me think Im missing anything from the IK or plop down for one of their cards. That API vision channel has me completely blown away from the demos Ive heard, but you need an Octo card to even begin running a practical amount of instances which seems counter intuitive for a channel strip.

The only Waves EQ Ive been impressed with in recent memory was the Abbey Road REDD EQ, but honestly dont know how much use I would give it for the cost. Maybe if they go on sale...

Wait, is something wrong with the Kramer Tape plugin? I throw it on my master bus every time I mix something hahah. Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm just curious if it's widely acknowledged to be shit as OP seemed to indicate.

Wait, is something wrong with the Kramer Tape plugin? I throw it on my master bus every time I mix something hahah. Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm just curious if it's widely acknowledged to be shit as OP seemed to indicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some tests and IK EQ73 is definitely closer to the UAD sound in that video than the Scheps. The way it handles mid-side processing seem to be a big part of that. I suspect the UAD (or maybe just that guy in the video) had mid-side effects active, while the Scheps in that video did not.

Also ran a square wave through U-he Satin and it produced virtually the same proper waveform as the one Slate's VTM made in the video.

And FYI, the UAD is a processor hog. The Apollo Twin Solo can run only one stereo instance.

And FYI, the UAD is a processor hog. The Apollo Twin Solo can run only one stereo instance.
oh yes, it relly is, i´m demoing the Neve 1073 since a couple of days now, and it really takes up on resources.. its crazy.. though its really sounding great.. but does this justify to drop another grand for an octo card just to run this one on a few more channels.. lol
Would be great if they just make an SE Version of it like on the legacy version with a lower DSP CPU Consumption

Did some tests and IK EQ73 is definitely closer to the UAD sound in that video than the Scheps. The way it handles mid-side processing seem to be a big part of that. I suspect the UAD (or maybe just that guy in the video) had mid-side effects active, while the Scheps in that video did not.

Also ran a square wave through U-he Satin and it produced virtually the same proper waveform as the one Slate's VTM made in the video.

That might explain the huge difference, plus the Waves version looks like the mono instance.