In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
UFO - Showtime
SPV Records - SPV99562 - Dec. 12, 2005
by Amanda J. Carlson
UFO.jpg

Holding this album in my hands I am immediately sent back 17 years to age five, riding in my older brother’s pick up truck with UFO’s Phenomenon cranked in the cassette player. It blows my mind that this band is still around. Even though there have been constant lineup changes over their 36-year existence, they still have that same classic style and sound. With this release they’re back with three of the original members plus two new, including great guitarist Vinnie Moore.

UFO does a great job of mixing up old and new songs throughout their set. They open with a strong rendition of "Mother Mary" from 1975’s Force It before jumping to their most recent studio release, You Are Here. It’s amazing that 30 years has preserved UFO’s signature classic flavor, and not modernized it like many bands that have stuck it out for as many years. On "This Kids," Moore nails the guitar solo as if it were his own; he may be no Michael Schenker, but he knows how to wield a six-string. They end disc one with a handful of songs from their two albums released in the new millennium. Even for someone craving more of those early 70s tunes, it’s still an enjoyable listen.

On disc two they stick with the old stuff, including two consecutive tracks from Phenomenon; they saved the best for last! "Rock Bottom," which is the greatest UFO song ever, is almost flawless in this 15-minute version, and I say almost because the guitar solo was very different from the original. In my greediness for Schenker’s mighty licks I forget that Moore is not Schenker and he has every right to take that huge section of song to do his own shredding. Improv doesn’t seem to be his forte, but after a second listen I am satisfied.

This is indeed a great album for reminiscing about the old songs, as well as an introduction to their recent work that I was not familiar with. I highly recommend this to UFO fans old and new alike. Great sound quality, stellar musicianship, and proof that not all things dull with age.

8.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

UFO Official Website
SPV Official Website