Ugly Cheap Guitar Tone [Mastering Problem]

ShamStalin

Metal Head
Nov 18, 2010
Malaysia
I'm wondering, why there's weird very unproffesional clipping happening in the beginning of the song. Any idea? I looked at the wave, there're plenty of headrooms, I didn't boost it all the way with no headroom, I leave in about -3db for headrooms.

I use Gclip ---> Compressor ---> Another Gclip [Final Boost]

Everytime when I play something like open chord , I know there's low frequency scattered, is there any way to fix this?

*sorry for the cheap guitar sound, haha, I was just experimenting/practicing for mixing/mastering.

Ahhh forgot to put the link for the Ugly Cheap Guitar Tone song :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15465790/Ugly Cheap Guitar Tone Mastering test.mp3

Multiband compression?

Also - I notice a lot of people using GClip - Comp - GClip around here. I used to do this....but I thought a limiter might be better......?

it's probably gclip causing it, when there are just guitars ringing out gclip can cause distortion

try automating the threshold (clip level) of gclip just during that part to a lower level and see if that fixes it

arv_foh : Thanks man, thats really makes sense!, automation! *dush!, slap my head. Thanks man, will try that out. Or I can either use Low cut automation [Eq on specific freq] which sound smoother, don't know, got to try 1st ^^

G-Clip causes clipping on guitars even when the guitars have not hit G-Clips threshold, regardless of how much headroom the guitars have. Its kind of cool to have though, as most major relase metal albums have some sort of post saturation on guitars and it kind of adds to the aggressiveness.