Uh...

Nitronium Blood said:
Opeth to tour with Korn.

I don't understand. :erk:

eh where's the link ??? or where u get the info from....

alright....if the 1st song of ghost reveries title is called " Jump the fuck up " i'm not gonna buy it :OMG:

My motto: Until I see it on Blabbermouth, it isn't true.
Yes, my motto is somewhat flawed, but I really hope this isn't true. Imagine that crowd: 20% metalhead Opeth fans, 10% non-metalhead-Opeth-fans, and 70% whiny, faux-depressed high school kids in giant pants who think Korn "really did something" with "Another Brick in the Wall".

UPDATE: Hmm... perhaps this rumor is derived from this story:

KORN, OPETH and LACUNA COIL have been confirmed for the Metal Hammer Festival, set to take place August 31 at the Spodek Arena in Katowice, Poland.

Those European festivals are always a wacky mix.

I don't get you... Obviously, we all like Opeth a lot. So if they get a chance to play in front of a LOT of people, most of them not knowing Opeth before, then we should be very happy for them ! But it's just the same stupid old song : "If a band becomes mainstream it's because he's selling his soul"... The fact that they play totally different music is a nice thing too, better too see two different and excellent bands than 1 good band and one of its numerous copies...

Totally agree with Brett. Its a really good way of discovering new bands that you otherwise wouldnt have heard. I can remember going to the Pheonix festival years ago to see Biohazard and coming back mad about Bootsie Collins having never heard him before.

Yeah, it's good for them to get recognition...but if a 17 year old kid thinks Korn is the most revolutionary band in the world isn't going to know or appreciate how much better Opeth is if they see them live. Has anyone here tried to ahve this conversation with a "Nu Metal" fan? It always ends in them calling you "closed minded" out of anger. I was trying to explain to a guy one time why "Disturbed" is extremely lame, dumbed down, plastic metal for people who drive big Dodge trucks with a Godsmack sticker on the back and sport a "Tribal Tattoo". The reaction was "You fuckin Puritan metal heads are all the same, always making fun of something that's great because it's not underground death metal.". That's so not true. Try to get a guy like that (who would go see Korn live) to appreciate, and like Opeth.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
I don't get you... Obviously, we all like Opeth a lot. So if they get a chance to play in front of a LOT of people, most of them not knowing Opeth before, then we should be very happy for them ! But it's just the same stupid old song : "If a band becomes mainstream it's because he's selling his soul"... The fact that they play totally different music is a nice thing too, better too see two different and excellent bands than 1 good band and one of its numerous copies...

I'd love to see Opeth get bigger and play arenas, (as a matter of fact, I'm seeing Opeth play an arena next Saturday) but I'd just hate to pay $70+ just to see them open for a much less talented band who only excel at providing rock radio with lethargic, cliched pop hooks. Good for them if they ever do tour with the likes of Korn or their dick-waving rock/rap bretheren, but then I can't afford to go, both in terms of money and, well, patience in dealing with thousands of artificially angsty teenagers who, let's face it, will NOT want to stand through a 14-minute death metal magnum opus prior to their festival of "hopping up and down to one power chord".

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Korn live - I liked the first three albums, and get the impression that they'd be a pretty effective live act. More visceral and energetic than absorbing and musical, obviously... So that'd be a pretty effective constrast on that tour, I reckon. And maybe some people would go away with a bigger appreciation of Opeth, because they wouldn't have any preconceptions about the band beforehand. We're not talking about The Dillinger Escape Plan here, after all - you really need to be into that style to listen to them, but Opeth have the potential to be far more accessible.

The elitist metal attitude is ridiculous. That said, this festival isn't exactly like Korn is taking Opeth on tour with them(a la Slipknot taking In Flames a few years ago), and regardless of that, it's great for Opeth to play in front of crowds that big. To assume that everyone who listens to Korn and is in that audience would be "unable" to adequately appreciate Opeth is stupid, and is counterproductive to the entire concept of good music getting the popularity it deserves.

It's a festival that just happens to have KoRn on it as well as Opeth. It's a bit unfortunate that Opeth have signed to such a 'sold out' label that only seems to care about mass-promotions and raking in shoveloads of money as opposed to preserving any sort of artistic credibility on their roster. But that's how it is.

Opeth will most likely be lined up to play many large festivals that will expose them to the mallcore demographic. The band themselves seem quite happy with the sort of distribution and promotion Roadrunner can give them.

I personally don't care, as long as their music isn't affected as a result of it all.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
Has anyone here tried to ahve this conversation with a "Nu Metal" fan? It always ends in them calling you "closed minded" out of anger. I was trying to explain to a guy one time why "Disturbed" is extremely lame, dumbed down, plastic metal for people who drive big Dodge trucks with a Godsmack sticker on the back and sport a "Tribal Tattoo". The reaction was "You fuckin Puritan metal heads are all the same, always making fun of something that's great because it's not underground death metal.". That's so not true. Try to get a guy like that (who would go see Korn live) to appreciate, and like Opeth.

First of all I think you nailed your discription of Disturbed......
But, I think your aproach is sort of silly. If you are honestly trying to spread the word about a band, why would you tell someone that the music they already like is a pile of shit? It doesn't make sense. All it will do is piss them off and make them ignore everything else you say. Why not say, 'hey this might be way different than what you ussually listen to, but I think if you give it a few serious listens it will really grow on you.' YMMV, but at least you've got a shot this way as opposed to just pissing in their ear.

In regards to this whole debate, Brett is right on-- you should be happy when bands you like are successful. A big goal in touring is to gain more exposure. Opeth could headline club tours all day long, but they wouldn't be growing their fanbase much by doing so. If the music is still fantastic what difference does it make?