Ultimate guitar have done an interview today just for Ermz!

I love the way they have nickleback down twice in the first section! ha

Great interview with tons of info. Interesting that he uses that for guitars but I guess it works for him!
I've heard of people doing that trick with the drums too. I must try it myself when I get the chance on a rock record- must make the room mics huge and I can only imagine it helps with the kit:cymbal ratio in the room.

Ebay will be blowing up with those SRS boxes in a couple of weeks.
unit.jpg

Isn't that the same thing used in Windows Media Player in the sound enhancement thingy?

"You’ve got to have a really, really good player first and foremost and really good equipment. There’s no real big secret, except that you have to just find a good sounding cabinet and head and have a great sounding player. If you have really good equipment it will naturally sound good. Then you can take it to the next level with the mic placement, the room it is in and not over eq-ing it. If the source is really good, it will sound good in the end. For example, with Metallica’s stuff, like James’ guitar sound, it is a huge sound, as there is lots of bottom end, so it is a very particular sound. But if Kirk Hammett was to pick up James’ guitar and play - which has done on occasion - it will sound nothing like it does when James plays it. Which is odd, but the way a person plays dictates a lot of how it is going to sound."

Randy said:
But with a lot of rock stuff, it seems that the bass is playing the same part as the guitar part more or less, so the idea would be not to treat them separately but to treat them together, almost as the one thing.

Having some trouble grasping this... does that mean he effectively buses them together and processes with the same chain?

The Wowthing is just weird, but I've kinda come to expect that after chasing up his techniques for the last few years.

I think that he was speaking not so much about processing itself, but about them sounding as a unit, rather than making bass very prominent in the mix.

the "wow thing" reminded me on a plugin i noticed some days ago. "shredspread" from brainworx.
just in case it wasn't mentioned here before...

The Wow thing is (I think) essentially what happened when i pushed the 3D button on my old plastic Aiwa ghetto blaster. It widened the guitars but made the center all muddy. I guess that if applied only on the guitar tracks they would sound wider. But doesn't that really mean that there would be phase issues?

The Wow thing is (I think) essentially what happened when i pushed the 3D button on my old plastic Aiwa ghetto blaster. It widened the guitars but made the center all muddy. I guess that if applied only on the guitar tracks they would sound wider. But doesn't that really mean that there would be phase issues?

Listen to one of Randy's recent mixes, then sum it to mono. Let me know how much rhythm guitar you hear after that.

As Dave Pensado says: "Don't worry about that....MONO IS DEAD".
Who cares if some club are in mono? In a club the sound is loud as fuck and no one cares about the sound quality...they wanna only dance, drink and fuck. :)