Ultra stupid newb question

Belial

Rainbow Demon
Nov 18, 2001
Shoikan Grove
jason.storiesfrom.us
It just popped in my head that I have no idea what that sign metal fans make with their hands mean. What the fuck does that mean? My bro said it's a sign of the devil, but considering his general ignorance of metal, I don't consider his explaination valid.

Ive heard it called the devil horns, yeah. But i think its also supposed to be a 666 thing. The 2 "horns" makes the 2 outside 6's, and the middle 6 is upside down, with the wrist being the other "horn."

so everybody should stop :headbang: ?
It would really make sense so that the "You're a *beep*ing satanist cuz you listen to metal" thing could be avoided, wouldn't it?

This sign is quite old.. but I don't think it had anything to do with metal or the devil back then..
Ancient Greeks used it.. for them, every finger (only on the right hand I think) represented one of their 12 gods.. but I don't remember the order.. someone of that religion spoke to me about it.. and it made sense.. more info when I get some :)

Ancient Greeks used it.. for them, every finger (only on the right hand I think) represented one of their 12 gods..

I didn't know the Ancient Greeks had 12 fingers on each hand!!

:loco: haha.. sorry, i'm such a smart ass...

I'm not sure where it came from, but for quite awhile the symbol signified the devil. But in time, i believe that it has just come to mean:

THIS IS FUCKING KICK-ASS METAL!!!!!!

just my opinion :):headbang: :hotjump: :headbang: :devil: :headbang: :hotjump: :headbang:

I agree with Kittarin, no matter what it used to mean, it now means roughly "Yeah, man, rock on!!" Or something to that effect.

It is generally regarded as the devil horns, but...

Dio is the guy that started it (never heard anybody say otherwise, so until someone does...) and in an interview he says he learned it from his mother, and it's a ward against evil spirits...

Originally posted by Kittarin

I didn't know the Ancient Greeks had 12 fingers on each hand!!

:loco: haha.. sorry, i'm such a smart ass...

I knew someone was going to do that.. I'm not a native English speaker and I didn't know how to say it.. ok? :) So they had 5 of their 12 gods represented by the 5 fingers on the right hand.. better? :p

I think it´s supposed to be 666, the number of the beast, but what on earth is this n.o.t.b. (I know it´s an iron maiden song)

Let him who comprehends
know the number of the beast
it's the number of a man
its a number just for me.

sorry got carried away with Iced Earth song.
Ive always thought it was the devil symbol.!!!!!????

o
oo o
ooo oo
ooo oo
ooo o ooo
oo oooo oo
oooooo
oooooo
oooo
oo
o

Sorry bout that thing at the end of my last post.
It was a really cool picture i made but it all went back to the left hand side after i posted it..........BOOHOOO!!!
It was a devil symbol!!!!ohwell

Originally posted by City_of_da_Moon
Let him who comprehends
it's the number of a man
its a number just for me.

sorry got carried away with Iced Earth song.
Ive always thought it was the devil symbol.!!!!!????

o
oo o
ooo oo
ooo oo
ooo o ooo
oo oooo oo
oooooo
oooooo
oooo
oo
o

Iced Earth???

ice earth, where are you from? that's iron maiden.
you know what piss me off? seeing a kid rock fan giving the horn. that is the gayest shit on earth.

Originally posted by Sullen Jester
If you hold the thumb up too, it's "I love you" or something similar in sign language (deaf people), but I think the "metal version" is Italian in origin.

This is true...I remember during a college activities fair, a deaf student's organization handed out cookies in that shape. I asked their rep "Do you know what that sign means?" and she said "I love you", then I informed her of the other meaning...

ice earth, where are you from? that's iron maiden.

Hey sorry dude. I dont know that song form iron mmaiden.
There is a song on the new Iced Album called DAMIEN.

I dont know if it is a cover of a Maiden song.....or they are just copying them but it goes like this.

Damien

So the beast resides in me
deep down i always knew
i never really did fit in
so diverse from all of you
let him who comprehends
its the number of a man
a number just for me.

As the boy becomes a man
fathers minions pave the way
set in motion now, armageddon