Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ultraviolence - Life Of Destructor
Earache MOSH103 46’06” 1994
By Russell Garwood

“Life Of Destructor”, Ultraviolence’s debut Earache album can only be described as diverse. Their aggressive techno/industrial mix has an extremely wide fanbase, including many from the gabba and hardcore techno dance scene, industrial and metal fans tempted by the label, cybergoths attracted to Johnny Violent’s dark themes and venues, and many more as a result of his constant touring with people such as Moby and Cubanate.

I have always been a fan of artists who mix genre; to me it shows originality and musical ability. Ultraviolence may have the former, but certainly do not have the latter. I have never been a fan of music which strives to be “extreme” by lacking melody, and this is no exception. The songs are simplistic, repetitive, and may well be very good for dancing but are certainly not worth listening to. They consist mostly of a computerised drumbeat or two, plus some white noise. Any developments in the songs, such as an attempt at a tune for a short time, lack any subtlety whatsoever.The album – like the songs – does not flow at all, and attempts to break the monotony (for example, by adding sung vocals to “The Only Love”) fail miserably.

However, fans of extreme non-melodic metal may well like this as a novelty, and if you enjoy the more hardcore and experimental end of industrial or dance music this is a necessity. Groundbreaking Ultraviolence may be, but I really don’t like the ground they’re breaking.

What the fuck is such a album doing there???
You know, I have this Earache compilation, with one title of ultraviolence on it. I put it once, just to know what it was. And it was boom boom boom boom boom boom boom. Do you call that electronic crap music??? Anything done with cpus is NOT and will NEVER be music. Music is about guys playing their instruments . Techno/indus is about mindless gay fucks with too much THC and heroin in their veins. I know very well that. I know 4 or 5 people who are into techno and they're all hard-drug addicts. One of them is my girlfriend's brother, he's a total psycho. He bought a gun on black market, and during one of his crisis, he nearly shot his mother and a dog. He attempted to stab 3 times his sister.
Fuck drugs and techno. Really.

What the fuck is such a album doing there???

Its the non metal review section :rolleyes:

You know, I have this Earache compilation, with one title of ultraviolence on it. I put it once, just to know what it was. And it was boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Pretty much what I said above ;)

Do you call that electronic crap music???

No, and neither do the people that write it I feel :loco:

Anything done with cpus is NOT and will NEVER be music

Well, that is crap :rolleyes: nearly all of NIN's music is written by computer and that is good music. A matter of opinion yes, but to say any music not played lived is not music is short sighted and idiotic. You are missing out on a lot of good music if thats how you feel.

Music is about guys playing their instruments

And why is a computer not an instrument?

Techno/indus is about mindless gay fucks with too much THC and heroin in their veins

Nice to see you're not generalising here. To me all this shows is the generalisation many people make about metalheads being elitist dumn fucks who can't see past the end of their own nose when it comes to music is true for yet another person.

I know very well that. I know 4 or 5 people who are into techno and they're all hard-drug addicts

Drugs ay be more prevalent in that communtiy, in the exactly the same way that self harm is more prevelant in the metal community. It doesn't mean all metal fans are suicidal maniacs

One of them is my girlfriend's brother, he's a total psycho. He bought a gun on black market, and during one of his crisis, he nearly shot his mother and a dog. He attempted to stab 3 times his sister

And this is solely due to the hardcore techno he listens to?

Fuck drugs and techno. Really

Grow up :rolleyes: