UM Forum Future

Thared

Oct 1, 2002
Louisiana, USA
Visit site
Just got this from Mark who runs whole Ultimatemetal.com domain.

Hi,

This is a note to let you know about some necessary changes to your UM forum.

Due to the increasing costs of running the UM community - costs which we are increasingly close to not meeting each month - we have made the unfortunate decision to implement a yearly charge on all hosted forums. We have not made the decision lightly - in fact, we have been weighing up other possibilities for the last 6 months. However, we now understand it's either
this or close the site completely within the next 2 months.

The UM server, with additional bandwidth needed to meet our current traffic, costs $300USD a month. We struggle through month-to-month to meet these costs, but as of this writing, we do not even have the funds to cover our October bill.

As of November 1, 2002, a yearly charge of $60USD per forum (equivalent to $5 per month) will be levied, payable by this date. I feel this is enough time to organise the funds needed, or make alternative arrangements. We'll also be offering monthly and quarterly payments, to make things easier. Payment can be made by PayPal or credit card.

Please see this page for full details:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumfee.php

I hope you've found your forum to be useful, and a service that has helped connect you to your community (however small or large it may be), and look forward to hopefully continuing our community-building relationship! We will be introducing new tools within the next 6 months that will help you and your fans raise the profile of your community, as well as provide integrated
community tools.

Thanks for your understanding, and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Mark

"I saw this on the anathema board. Does this go for ALL ultimate metal?"

They have gotten pretty huge. It's a wonder they didn't ask anything from the bands before. Going by my count, they're only asking for barely enough to cover the cost too. Good people run this place.