Underappreciated bands/albums and..... stuff

Hanso

Apr 24, 2001
Geelong
Visit site
After a few drinks I was thinking about this subject. I think 10cc should be recoginised as one of the best bands of the 70's. I can not work out why they are not. They had great pop songs but also so many awesome experimental/prog stuff. Love it! I can't see why they are not sighted as a huge influence by more bands. Also I think Cheap Trick don't get enough credit .

Albums... I think the 3rd best Ozzzy album (after Randy's 2) is The ultimate sin!!! If you disagree, please tell me why. I think it is a very solid album from start to finish. Jake E Lee never gets mentioned by Ozzy.

The Mavis's. Yes that Aussie band that had the singles naughty boy and cry. I really like their album Pink Pills. Does anybody else feel this way?? Or am I alone?

And I think Maiden's no prayer for the dying is a good album. Sure not great. But it had to follow Maiden's first 7 albums.

add your own bands/albums please

I really like No Prayer now, as I did when it was released. Same with Virtual XI. Fear of the Dark is easily their weakest album for mine.

I can only think of one album which never gets talked up by anyone - Q2K by Queensryche. Love it.

Virtual XI only problem is the production IMO, and of course song length on a couple of them. But in general I think it is a really good album, and while I am on the subject, St. Anger was much the same for me personally

Easiest that comes to mind is underappreciated albums by otherwise appreciated bands.

Queensryche - Empire. Their best by a mile.
Metallica - Load + ReLoad. Sure they have some crap filler but they're home to my 3 fave Metallica songs.
Maiden - the Blaze albums as already mentioned.
Motley Crue - self titled. Not their best album but right up there.
Van Halen - FUCK, Balance and III - their best and III especially cops a lot of completely unfair flak
Metal Church - The Human Factor and Blessing In Disguise - so it's not as thrashy, boo hoo
Helloween - Chameleon - I'll agree they lost the plot with Pink Bubbles but Chameleon was the start of something that far surpasses Keepers-era Helloween
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity. Half the album should never have been recorded. The other half is as good as anything else they've ever done.
Deep Purple - anything from Battle Rages On onwards. Blackmore's DP swansong was his finest moment, and Steve Morse takes not jut the guitar but song writing to whole new height. Very few songs in their back catalogue even come close.
Judas Priest - the Ripper Owens albums. Also the band's peak by a mile. Shits all over anything Halford-era from a great height.
Megadeth - Risk - same a Metal Church. Who cares if it's not thrash, it's great music.

Unappreciated bands is harder because of the line between unappreciated and simply unknown. Some not-completely-obscure bands that come to mind as underrated in the sense that they are pigeon-holed for their main claims to fame or general image but capable of much more would be Foreigner, John Farnham, Faith No More, Blue Oyster Cult, Dire Straits, Cradle of Filth, Noiseworks, Ugly Kid Joe and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Meshuggah and Dragonforce come to mind as being written off and underappreciated for the perception that they're "one trick ponies".

Sitting here listening to The Butterfly Effect, they have just gotten better and fucking better, they have never really got the love they deserve IMO......just saying is all

Fear Of The Dark holds a special place for me as it was one of my first Maiden albums (along with NOTB). If they are playing Maiden England/Donnington 92 era shows next year, I will be hitting that shit up.

Definately agree with Cradle of Filth. Despite being fairly popular I still find them underated as musicians as much of their material is pure brilliance.

Load is another good one. Was it recorded by a different band it would be considered more of a classic, alongside other albums of its era from the likes of Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc. St Anger is an interesting one. On one hand I think it has a lot of great material hidden inside it, but it sounds too much like a demo of the album they never made. A proper cut with better (but still raw) production could have made it a forgotten classic much like Load, but it just isn't quite there.

Easiest that comes to mind is underappreciated albums by otherwise appreciated bands.

Judas Priest - the Ripper Owens albums. Also the band's peak by a mile. Shits all over anything Halford-era from a great height.

hmmm , yes Ripper was good with Priest, I attest to that they were great live at the ENMORE 2002 but sheesh, British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, Painkiller, Killing Machine, don’t rate huh ... Nostramdrumas was crap though

For me its SABBATHS BORN AGAIN , magic to my ears it is and also NAZERATH'S -NO MEAN CITY