Underoath Disambiguation IR test

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
EDIT: Posts below are not about this clip but a previous one that failed. I re-did this after getting the stems for Illuminator and thought I'd make an A/B test.

Now... there are two clips that are match EQ'd and two clips that are the real deal. After doing this match EQ I realized I had a bit less gain than Underoath should be a clear way to tell which clip is which!

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds kinda phasey. Sorta like whatever you took the IR from wasn't quite long enough, becuase it seems to have the characteristics of 1 note...ya know what I mean?

Thanks for the input guys. There really isn't a good place for matching on that album. This was from an almost clean tone and then boosted for more gain. I guess it didn't work too well. There is one more spot I need to try tomorrow. Their studio setup was so unique: Les Paul with JB in bridge -> TS808 -> old JMP marshall -> 8x10 marshall cabinet. So it's not a sneapster tone.

Dudes! I made this A/B test. Please guess which is the real deal and which is the match EQ'd one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
only listened through macbook speakers, it's pretty obvious though..
1) real 2) fake 3) real 4) fake

if you cant tell the difference then maybe you should look out for a new hobby.

I think the second one has that static 400hz IR thing going on. No chance to simulate the speaker movement on that area. It´s the last 5% you know;)

Exactly, same with a static high end fizz that is the same on every note. It's decent for a PODfarm tone though.

Yeah, its more obvious in the mix imo. The first one is 'a mix with guitars', and the second is 'a mix and guitars'. Also, it seems like the real one doesn't have the same tone on both sides, whereas yours does. That's not good or bad, it just is.

Hey Clark Kent,

A while back i was looking for the Illuminator file set on the net, but i missed the chance of getting them during the comp. :(

I was wondering if you have a link for the Illuminator files :)

My Guess:
1st real
2nd fake
3rd real
4th fake
???????

You can get the Illuminator files from YouTube by using KeepVid. :)

Yeah this was a pretty obvious comparison. I had way less gain than UO which was a personal preferance. Their tracks are quad-tracked and mine are just doubled. The guys from UO can play the riff and I went for it by ear and I'm sure I'm failing at it. :D So you can probably tell the difference even if the tone was close. Also the fact that their tracks were quad-tracked was what made the match EQ process a bit impossible since I can't get one guitar tracks soloed. Also I used Ozone 5 for this... then I realized I had been getting some of those low end issues after I started using the Ozone 5. I did the same test with Ozone 4 and it was closer but I could still tell the difference so I thought it wasn't worth posting.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the only difference is really that your impulse doesn't really have the same attack as the UO ones