circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Unearth – The Oncoming Storm
Metal Blade Records – June 29th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

unearth.jpg

Here’s a simple recipe for Unearth, so you can create one from the comfort of your own home: ½ part music of Shadows Fall, ¼ part clean vocals of Stretch Armstrong and ¼ part gruff vocals of any metalcore band out there. Easy enough, huh? The ability to pigeonhole their sound and genre doesn’t actually detract from the listening experience. The Oncoming Storm is a fairly enjoyable listen, if not a little mindless as well. I can fully picture myself reaching for this release when I’m in the mood for some music that’s devoid of the need for an attention span. A casual listen may be the most accurate prescription.

“The Great Dividers” opens, and we witness standard metalcore with above-average drumming. Although, the riff from the 3:45 minute mark to the demise of the song will definitely keep the headbangers happy. All the tracks are very structured and organized; I like that there’s control over the chaos. “Failure” continues the record and presents nothing innovative either. Skip “This Lying World” and move directly to “Black Hearts Now Reign.” The latter is one of the most infectious tracks on the release. While I can debase some of Unearth’s lack of originality, I can’t help but get into some of the riffs they’ve created. Songs five through nine aren’t contenders for the two, brilliant closers. “Predetermined Sky” is a rhythmical whirlwind with frantically paced double-bass work that should make other metalcore bands envious. A thunderous end brings the mayhem to a conclusion. As you may infer, this is my favorite track. “False Idols” is the last song, and the magnificent drumwork is enough to warrant a listen. The stop/start riffage pushes the song until we hear only silence.

Metal Blade Records’ inexplicable penchant for signing metalcore bands must be quelled now before staleness sets in. Currently, they house three quality acts in As I Lay Dying, The Black Dahlia Murder and Unearth. While Unearth have a way to go before they reach their peak (despite their toiling in the underground metal scene), there are still other bands that are doing this same shtick much better. Overall, The Oncoming Storm is a keeper, albeit a nice effort, that I won’t be listening to that much. But, couple the clever artwork with a bonus video and a few solid songs: you’ve got a release that warrants attention from time-to-time.

7/10

Official Unearth website
Official Metal Blade Records website

It is already stale. Never have I seen a genre go from exciting to boring as fast as metalcore. It is turning into absolute cookie-cutter stuff. :yuk: This Unearth album is pleasant listening but I have no desire to listen to it more than a couple of times and in a month, I won't remember anything unique about it.

Somebody needs to shake this stuff up in a hurry! :loco:

The only thing that I can criticize about this album is the vocals. They aren't terrible, just a bit plebeian.

The riffing and song writing is much better than the average metalcore band. If you are a fan of the genre, or just good heavy tunes, then I suggest picking it up.

8/10

overall, i thought that this album was great. it had some awsome guitar breakdowns and amzing drumwork. the only thing that i was a little disapointed by were the vocals. it would have been nice if the vocalwork was more brutal and pounding like as i lay dying or lamb of god, but they are still pretty satasfactionary.

8-9/10