Unearth - Watchers of Rule

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just got my digital copy from pre-ordering, I'm definitely biased when it comes to Unearth but this could be my favorite one yet. The new drummer Nick Pierce is an animal and the songs are just way more aggressive than the last couple records. Mark Lewis also did a killer job with the mix, definitely their best mix to date. Anybody else digging this? :kickass:

http://youtu.be/nhtoLKEfH34

I actually don't like the mix as much as Darkness In The Light, the bass in this sounds pretty non existent compared to that. But maybe it's because it's so present in Darkness that I'm biased.

They did something interesting with the tuning on this record. Instead of using their 7 strings in standard (B E A D G B E), they've tuned the top 6 strings up a whole tone, so it's in drop B (B F# B E A C# F#).

Im not wild about the tune until it hits about the halfway point, then its some of the best Unearth Ive heard in years. I do really like the new drummer, the old guy was good but played really stiff like a heavy metal robot. New guy plays with traditional grip in the video which for some reason always impresses me.

They did something interesting with the tuning on this record. Instead of using their 7 strings in standard (B E A D G B E), they've tuned the top 6 strings up a whole tone, so it's in drop B (B F# B E A C# F#).

Interesting! I was just watching a Playthrough and was trying to figure out if it was in Drop A because to me it didn't sound like it but Buz was barring the lower power chords. Cheers for the info :kickass:

For the curious http://youtu.be/mVvsaFZP8CI

yeah nick is a beast

i might be in the minority but i much prefer this bass tone over darkness in the light. mark has been killing it on bass tones lately. this mix and the new cannibal corpse are two of my favorites at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix basically sounds like a slightly tweaked version of Darkness in the Light. But since that album has some of the best production I've ever heard, there's nothing wrong with that.

Used to be into these guys like 10 years ago. Sort of got bored with them, but this new track has sparked an interest for me. I can recall pretty much always being able to bang my head to Unearth.

Listening to the youtube clip in 480p im sure doesn't do this mix justice, but I can't get over how annoying those overheads sound. The crashes in particular just sound paper-y, and have this wierd flat mid-range.

The mix sounds fantastic though. However, I do think I prefer the Darkness In The Light mix over this one.