Unusual Metal Mix, Guidance needed

nevchrist

Suave Gringo
Mar 27, 2010
Bristol, UK
I'm doing an EP for some friends and I'm having some trouble. My problem is I'm not that experienced with mixing this kind of music. I can't really say what kind of music it is because it's a mix of lots of things, like black metal, bit of shoegaze.. and... i dunno what else. Here, listen:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5831187/Beneath the Waves (march mix).mp3

Tell me what I could do to make it better please!

EDIT: Thought i'd just let you know what i'm using/what i've got available to me:

Drums were originally done in a studio, but were replaced in the end with DFHS2.0 and a Mnemic kick sample. Guitars are Legion and some recabinet impulses. bass is svx and podfarm. vox was done with a sm58. im using cubase 5 and ozone 4 for mastering.

With the vocals this really reminds of keep of kalessin - maybe you could use their sound as a reference, because i think they sound nice, especially on the last two albums!

With the vocals this really reminds of keep of kalessin - maybe you could use their sound as a reference, because i think they sound nice, especially on the last two albums!

ha! they'll be very pleased you thought they sounded like them. thanks for the advice.

Vocals are maybe a tad too prominent, sit on top of the mix in a strange way.

And why replace the drums? Not very good recordings?
Got a sample of how the drums originally sounded, totally raw? Would be cool to hear how they sounded just out of curiosity.

Vocals are maybe a tad too prominent, sit on top of the mix in a strange way.

And why replace the drums? Not very good recordings?
Got a sample of how the drums originally sounded, totally raw? Would be cool to hear how they sounded just out of curiosity.

the drums were played too badly. i couldn't do anything with them, it was a pain to get the drummer to let me do it but for no money you can't get a decent drum sound. it's all midi.

i found it thuogh, here's the original: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5831187/track 1.mp3

you can see why i didn't use it.

have you got any advice for guitar tone? i'm getting really annoyed with it. i've got revalver, legion, pod farm with metal pack, recabinet 2. i think it's the EQ etc that im bad with

i think the guitar tone's nice man. but maybe sitting too low in the mix? definitely sort the vocals out, ive never heard such an odd mix on vocals lol. other than that i like it! it sounds really fat and busy and thrashy :)