Upcoming Concerts

Feb 14, 2007
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
I think it would be beneficial if we got a list going of upcoming concerts in the chicagoland area so we can all get our fix of metal, so far I have these down...

April 4th - Dark Tranquillity, The Haunted, Into Eternity
April 8th - 1349, Goatwhore
April 20/21st - Powerfest :)
May 30th - Emperor
August 27th - Kamelot, Leaves Eyes
September 18th - Epica, Visions of Atlantis
September 21st - Sonata Arctica

Others are Sounds of the Underground and Chicago Metal Devastation

Mention any you know of...

March 15 & March 16 - TROUBLE (Still to be announced where)
March 31st - TROUBLE (Pearl Room)
June 16th - ALEHORN OF POWER FESTIVAL (Slough Feg, Nov Doom, etc) (Double Door)

I think you listed most of the ones I have heard of.
Milwaukee Metalfest too, sometime in May, though nothing booked yet that I have any interest in.

Finntroll will be there in October. :)

@ Neil - I am quite excited that you also know and are attending Rodrigo Y Gabriela. I will see them in San Francisco a week before your gig. BTW, they are from Mexico originally, not Ireland. :D That had to make me smile. They now live in Los Angeles and many of the bands they like are old Metallica, old Megadeth.... and OPETH! woot

I don't think there was a show not mentioned that I am already going to!

4/4 Dark Tranquillity/The Haunted/Scar Symmetry (I am so pumped about seeing Scar Symmetry that it is ridiculous).

4/9 Type O Negative/Celtic Frost (It's also my b-day, wheeeeee!)

4/20-21 Chicago Powerfest (of course)

Though I will be THRILLED if Nightwish actually does come to town in October, I'm still leary about this show. As any fan of the band knows, they are still in the process of choosing a new lead singer...I think they will announce it in May? Anyhoo, I'm glad that I got to see them with Tarja at the HOB. That still ranks as one of my top 5 shows of all time. I literally cried. Will the new singer be able to make me cry? I dunno. Hey, I'm still metal, dammit! :)

Wow...you're quite organized, Neil. ;)

"Obsessive data-addict" is probably more accurate! For more insanity, see my Music List with play counts for every song in my collection.

@ Neil - I am quite excited that you also know and are attending Rodrigo Y Gabriela. I will see them in San Francisco a week before your gig. BTW, they are from Mexico originally, not Ireland. :D That had to make me smile.

heh...yeah, I agonized a bit over that one, but I figured that since the music that they play was basically created while they were in Europe, that was the more appropriate location to give. I didn't know they'd relocated to LA though, that throws another fork in the works, aughh!!!

I guess that explains the crazy amount of US touring they've been doing though. I first saw them 5 months ago (at the intimate Old Town School of Folk Music), then missed one of their club shows in December because I was out of town, and now they're playing a 1300-capacity venue!

well, it helps that he runs (ran?) a website for local (Chicago-area) metal shows.

ha, yeah, that. "Ran" is probably more appropriate. But now it makes sense why I was so interested in the parking/transportation situation at the Pearl Room....that's the exact kind of info I would have put on that site!

Angelcorpse is playing May 10th at the Empty Bottle.

Yeah, with Watain, which is just bizarre.

Neil

TOOL
I'm thinking of flying to FL at the end of May as TOOL
will play 5 dates there from May 25 to June 2
I've never seen the same group that many times in nine days
Its something to think about
only problem, FL is too frickn hot in the summer
I just can't take the heat -

man o man....September is a killer....

Epica / Visions of Atlantis - Tuesday Sept 18th...have to pass
Firewind - Thursday Sept 20th
Sonata Arctica - Friday Sept 21st
Edguy - Sunday Sept 23
Persuader - Wed Sept 26th
Finntroll / Leaves Eyes Friday Sept 28th

That is a pretty solid 2 weeks of shows. I have a feeling that is any more bands announce a fall tour...it will be in those two weeks. it is going to kill me to miss Visions Of Atlantis, but I want to see the other shows more. I wish more were in the city...I really hate driving to the damn Pearl Room.

I am surprised that Firewind just isn't playing the same gig with Sonata.
I know in some cities they are playing together.
While I know Firewind is the current "buzz" band of the Prog Power crowd, I would question their status and ability to draw as a headliner.

I am surprised that Firewind just isn't playing the same gig with Sonata.
I know in some cities they are playing together.
While I know Firewind is the current "buzz" band of the Prog Power crowd, I would question their status and ability to draw as a headliner.

That Firewind show will be very empty. There are just too many shows that few weeks and I think people wont be able to support everyone and the shows like Persuader and Firewind will be very under attended, which stinks because both bands are really good. I could be wrong but I have seen a few years back the saem thing happened when lots of tours were too close. People had to pick and choose. Going to shows isnt cheap anymore and it is hard to find the time also.