Upgrading my DAW PC. Which is more beneficial, clock speed or amount of cores?

Tesseract

Dec 2, 2003
Milton Keynes UK
Visit site
Hey peeps,

Its upgrade time for my DAW PC (which is currently an AMD4400 x2 3gb ram) so whatever I upto will be a big improvement!

I can't decide between the AMD Phenom 3.4GHZ Quad core or the Phenom 2.8GHZ Six Core.
The X6 is £155
The X4 is £143
..so no real price difference but i'm wondering which would be more useful/benificial for a DAW? Speed or cores?

(Using Cubase 5.5 by the way)
Any ideas?

I remember when I went from a dual core Intel E8500 to a quad core Intel Q9550, my CPU usage in Cubase dropped by around 40%. So I would say increased cores = better performance.

Increased cores = better performance for almost any task, especially audio DSP. The more symmetric multiprocessing you have, the better everything works. Cubase works like a dream on multi-core systems. Intel Core 2 Quad here on my DAW box, a couple of years old now but still rocking.

Well I ended up going for an Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz (i overclocked it to 3ghz), 6GB 1600mhz RAM and a solid state hard drive for the OS/Apps.
Really glad I chose the intel in the end its working a treat! I completly forgot that the i7's show up as 8 cores in windows...i know it only has 4 but the hyperthreading makes it act as 8. I've had 8-10 delays/verbs, synths, Superior Drummers, loads of EQs and compressors, several instances of Nebula, 50+ tracks and the meter hasn't gone past 20% yet! :D Win!