Uriah Heep, Deep Purple & Wishbone Ash Tonight!

zeppelin

pǝƃuɐq ǝq ɹo ƃuɐq
Jun 8, 2004
Johannesburg - South Africa
Got good tickets and pretty excited to see Uriah Heep since I like their last album. I hope they do a lot of songs from Look at Yourself, Magician's Birthday and Demons and Wizards.
Deep Purple should be good as well, although I wount get to see Blackmore and Wishbone Ash I dont really know at all, but I'l let you know how it was (just dont expect any set lists:))

I've got tix to see Heep next month. I'm expecting setlist will be largely tracks that were on Celebration, with a couple newer tracks from Wake the Sleeper, but you never know.

That's an awesome gig!

Wishbone Ash might surprise you.....their first four albums are classics! Imagine a combo of early 70s blues rock, prog rock (a la Uriah Heep), and a proto-twin guitar "attack"!

In fact, Steve Harris generally cites them as the main influence behind Maiden's twin-guitars (although Priest HAS to be behind it, as well!).

Enjoy the show.

Great gig !

I was into Wishbone Ash back in the 70's, then recently in retrospect I went through a few of thier tube clips and came to realize just how much of them was in Maiden, not just the "twin guitar" but alot of the guitar phrasing and melody as well. The one guitarist Andy Powell (I think thats his name) was extremely good for his era.

I like Blackmore myself but Im also a long time Steve Morse fan and Morse Purple is prety damn good as far as Im concerned, I assume he's still with them.

Heep... well Im one of the origional Heepsters so I totally wish I could see a concert like this. The closest I believe they are coming to me is NYC and Im not going down there but I did see Heep once sometime around '78 and it was a great show.

Have a great time

Another side note thats never talked about is that in the studio during early Uriah Heep they also did a handful of harmonized guitar work, but so often credit goes to just Wishbone Ash, Thin Lizzy and the southern rock bands. Uriah Hepp is mostly know as a one guitar player band with Mic Box but Ken Hensley could also play the hell out of a guitar... who did the studio "duels" is unknown to me, could have just been Box laying down two tracks, could have been both of them, but examples of it are there on the first 4 or so albums. Maiden was also heavily influenced by Uriah Heep.

Fantastic gig even for the 2010. I didn't even know Wishbone Ash was still around in any possible incarnation.

Enjoy it a lot.

Uriah Heep was excellent! They played 2 songs from Wake the Sleeper and Look at Yourself, Gypsy, July Morning, Free Me and Lady in Black. I wished they could play a bit longer but because there were 2 other bands they only played for about an hour and 20 minutes.
Wishbone Ash played along with Deep Purple but it was almost a bit mediokre after seeing UH, but you are right Razoredge, Steve Morse rocked. All and all a good night though :headbang:
These were taken from my cell phone so they're not so great...

Edit4.jpg

Edit5.jpg

Edit2.jpg

Edit3.jpg

Edit1.jpg

Edit6.jpg

Nice pics, glad you enjoy it (now Gillan does look old).

Awesome. A dream bill. I agree with Soundmaster about Wishbone Ash's early stuff, and yes, the Maiden influence is very obvious. I really hope I get to see Uriah Heep in this incarnation, since the last two albums have been great, great, great. Bernie Shaw is an amazing singer, reminding me of Chemical Wedding era Bruce Dickinson strangely. And of course, he's got big shoes to fill.
Deep Purple I have mixed feelings about these days. I agree that Steve Morse kicks supreme ass, but for my money Ritchie is one of those guys that just can't be replaced. Still, Gillan also happens to be one of my top fave vocalists, so it would be worth it just for that. I'd compare them to the modern UFO experience....which is actually quite good. You get to hear Phil Mogg (and other important members), but while Vinnie Moore is pretty amazing, it's just a bit left of center without Michael S.