Use of grunt...

Midwinter_melancholY

¨‘°ºOrnamental adagiOº°‘¨
Nov 30, 2002
Belgium
www.hanenwurger.org
First of all: it's not my intention to influence the band in any way by this post. Moreover: I'd be a vain bastard if I thought I could be of any influence to a band that made his very own terrific sound. Just to state it from the beginning.

Before GR I sometimes thought of certain parts in songs "if this was done in some variant of a clean voice, this could even be better". But when I'm listening to GR, this feeling is more present. On parts where a grunt comes in and where one would think - "why grunt here/now?"

It's not that I think that the major part of grunts are unnecessary, absolutely not. It's just a small deal of parts of which I think clean voice could push it a little further if you know what I mean.

Maybe an example where it really occurs to me: Harlequin Forest: @ 2:33 and @ 9:33 ...

Opeth is going to remain my favourite band of all time whatsoever, can't think of another band that struck my inspiration as deep as they did. It's just a mere reflection. Other people who feel the same about some passages?

I would actually like to hear more grunts.
I like good grunts and Mikael definately has one.
I sometimes wonder why some musical interludes are there where they are, or even there at all.
Musically it's sometimes interesting, but for me it just breaks up the song. I would like to see Opeth making more songs that have some clearer song structure.
To me it sometimes sounds as if one song is like three songs thrown togeher, which for me is a barrier to actually get into it.
Can't really think of any concrete examples right now, mainly because I don't have any Opeth CD's here and my knowledge of track titles in general is shit.

Risquit said:
I have noticed that Mikael can't resist an "oogh" grunt at the end of every groove-oriented riff (i.e. Serenity Painted Death and Harlequin Forest).

It's Mikael's inner Tom G. Warrior.

I tend to think that the amount of death metal vocals is perfect in comparison with the amount of clean vocals.

I like the clean vocals a lot more overall, but they both have their roles. In a song like Bleak, it would have been ruined if the clean vocals were longer. It's almost like the death metal vocals build anticipation for the clean vocals. It works that way in many songs.

A great deal of Opeth's music is built around contrast. If you increase the amount of clean vocals, they would lose some of their strength in the music.

narcoleptic haze said:
Many have said it before, but i'd love them to write more heavy songs, but with 100% clean vocals. And indeed some more experimentation with instrumentation would be greatly welcomed.

why? so they'll be on TRL? :erk:

mhm strange i just wonder sometimes "how it may sound if there are grunts instead of some clean vocal parts"...
bcause the growls/grunts kicks ass

but i think mike has a very good clean vocals too and the mix is pretty good...so what?

Grunting is a rather unusual term for death metal vocals. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense. Grunting and growling are totally different things. Opeth's death metal vocals are certainly not 'grunting'. That would be rather hard to implement into music.

metal_wrath said:
grunts are low pitched (Nile) and growls are what you hear when you listen to Deliverance iirc
I consider Nile's to just be low pitched growls. I think of grunts more as one syllable caveman sounds (Mike's "oogh" grunt's).