Using a guitar head as just a power amp?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Ive tried goggle and stuff but I'm not 100% i got the right answer. Now would i just need to take the pod xt pro or any guitar preamp and just run that into the fx return on my peavey ultra plus?

Then would i just turn the preamp on my peavey ultra down and just use the master volume?

Please let me know if i got this right or if I'm way off......

Ive tried goggle and stuff but I'm not 100% i got the right answer. Now would i just need to take the pod xt pro or any guitar preamp and just run that into the fx return on my peavey ultra plus?

Then would i just turn the preamp on my peavey ultra down and just use the master volume?

Please let me know if i got this right or if I'm way off......

You don't need to do anything to the Peavey's preamp. If you're plugged straight into the effects return with the XT or another preamp, and not into the input on the front of the amp, the preamp's already bypassed. The presence knob should still work, 'cause that's a poweramp thing. Resonance, too, if the Ultra Plus has it. (I haven't played an ultra plus in about seven years.)

Just remember to turn the cab sims off on the XT. And it'll probably sound best in "studio/direct" mode.

Is the fx level a knob on the amp? Mine does not have one thats why i ask and i think i remember seeing one on the back of a crate blue voodoo amp...

you dont need one, just use the volume knob on the pod, the ultra plus should sound better on it's own but you will have versatility I guess.
try it and see.

make sure you have the output on the pod down when you get it rolling, by bypassing the pre all your volume control will be at the pod

^ Not necessarily...the POD's output level (and subsequent fx return input level) will be controlled by the POD's channel volume and output controls, but the master volume on the Ultra Plus will determine overall volume coming from the amp as well.

I used to own an Ultra Plus and I ran my HD147 through it for shits and giggles and it sounded awesome.

Yea I'm just kinda getting past lugging around a tube amp and worrying about losing or it getting stolen or even it breaking. I figure i could use the pod around the studio and would be sweet for live use. Plus i would have effects at the switch of a button. Live i will probably just run to the pa and then i also don't have to lug a cab if i don't want.

I'm just thinking I could keep using my head as a power amp until i can afford one. So i can get the pod all tweaked in. Thanks for the info though guys!

you could use it but to be honest you really don't want to- won't be healthy for the cabs( kick and floor toms are too low for the speakers to really be comfortable with at that level) and it will almost certainly sound awful.

I've a mate that runs his electric kit through a small fender mainly cause its the only other amp besides his guitar amp he owns and he doesn't mind if it dies on him, he hates it.

a pa/monitor/keyboard amp or even a bass amp would be way better suited for it.

+1, a bass amp/cab/combo is ideal for that kind of quick-fix solution. Just like it's generally a no-no to run a bass through a guitar amp...same principles.

~006

Just remember to turn the cab sims off on the XT. And it'll probably sound best in "studio/direct" mode.

The cab sims should be on, its the mic-sims that should be of, otherwise it will get to buzzy, and you should run it with the "pwramp" setting.

I use it this way, all other ways either gives a too round sound or too buzzy sound.