"valves?"

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
This is just a random musing, but why the hell do Brits call tubes "valves," anyway? I mean, I think of a valve as something that can open and close to let in or seal out liquid or gas...seeing as how vacuum tubes are meant to be totally sealed (you know, hence the "vacuum" part), "valves" seems like a total misnomer given their function. Anyone have any ideas?

They control how electrons move in very-low-pressure environments. Changing some part of the circuit around the tube has an effect on how electrons pass through, much like a valve.

EDIT: Missed the totally sealed part... that's just to control the environment through which the electrons pass. The important thing is that they decide how electrons go this way and that, and can control how electricity flows. END EDIT

Plus, it sounds less retarded. "Series of tubes" will haunt us forever.

Jeff

We, russians, also call them lamps :)
But I think that valve better describes its physical nature.
One pin controls how much current is transfered, like in valves... (very rough).

We, russians, also call them lamps :)
But I think that valve better describes its physical nature.
One pin controls how much current is transfered, like in valves... (very rough).

you fucking make most of em so i guess they should be called lamps..
:devil:

those english blokes are pretty cool. i like how they say summat. did they make that up? it took me like 2 months to learn to understand my ex girlfriends parents lingo. but her accent was totally erotic tho, limp to solid in 2 or 3 words man.

sorry to go ot lol

Hellow :)
Who can tell, what is the difference between Soft Rated and Hard Rated tubes, and what kind of them is better match for the high gain amps?