VAN CANTO rocks!

Purveyor Of Evil

Heavy Metal, INC.
Mar 17, 2003
Hughestown, PA.
Visit site
Acapella metal rules! They do some great covers of IRON MAIDEN, MANOWAR, NIGHTWISH, DEEP PURPLE and originals on their new album. You can check out some tunes on Bravewords.com. Damn this band fucking rocks royally! I'd love to see something like this at a future Progpower. I checked them out on myspace for their first album, but this new shit is even better. This band is too cool for words!

Check this out !!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWyggx2G6A&feature=channel[/ame]

I've always felt that Van Canto would be a great addition to PPX, and it's not too late for Glenn to add them. Just have them come out and entertain the crowd between sets, since they don't need any equipment but mikes(yes, I know they use real drums, but they can forego that or just bring tom toms or something.)

This would be a perfect way to kick off the Thursday showcase, IMO. Follow that with something really unique acoustically or moody such as Lake of Tears, Tiamat or an Opeth style band and then end with a shredder like Morgana Lefay. That would be a fantastic mixed bag of metal.

I just started listening to these guys. I like some of the songs though I can only take so much of the constant "juga juga juga juga juga" heavy songs. I really enjoy The Mission but aside from that and Battery (which I can't stand) I haven't heard the rest of their first album.

Virgin Steele rules. Van Canto... i was enthralled for about 5 minutes. But this just ain't my thing.

Yeah, I really can't see too many musicians that bust their asses for years learning to play an instrument diggin' this sort of thing. It's cute, but that's as far as it goes for me. With that said, the female lead singer is a different story all together. I could really dig her fronting an actual band.

~Brian~

Yeah, I really can't see too many musicians that bust their asses for years learning to play an instrument diggin' this sort of thing. It's cute, but that's as far as it goes for me. With that said, the female lead singer is a different story all together. I could really dig her fronting an actual band.

~Brian~

Oddly, last night while trying to fall asleep the local college station (WREK) had on a Georgia Tech a capella group. I realized how talented some of them are. Whether its their ability to simulate drums with vocals (Van Canto doesn't do this), or just to create quality rythms, and still sing leads. Its talent. I recognize it. Its talent just like learning to play the guitar is.

However, I also realized that I had no real interest in it. Just like I have no real interest in a number of types of performance art that take a lot of talent to pull off.

The reason I don't care for this style of a capella, is because I prefer the guitar over somebody imitating the guitar. I prefer the real band performing the song, over the people acting like they are a band playing that song. Even with Van Canto's original songs, I'd prefer them done with guitars, basses, and keyboards, over people showing how they can imitate those instruments, and mix their different vocal ranges.

If people honestly think that Van Canto's songs are best performed with only a drum and vocalists, then fine, enjoy them.

~Brian~

She did front an actual band, called Fading Starlight