Van Der Graaf Generator......

Apocalyptic

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2002
first door on left
www.deoxy.org
Hello
I was just wondering, do any of you know if Mikael was inspired at all for anything of Still Life from Van Der Graaf Generator? Because VDGG is a really awesome 70s progressive rock band with a CD entitled Still Life, and ive heard the Mikael got the name for albums and even the name Opeth inspired from some other bands.... Anyway, you guys should check the CD out, its very awesome. so..... goodbye I guess. thanks.
-Derek

ps - Are their any Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Gentle Giant fans here? because out of all the things ive read about progressive rock no one ever talks about them.... E L & P were awesome up till Works vol.1

I've heard that Mikael did in fact name Still Life after VDGG's amazing album. My personal favorite album by VDGG is Pawn Hearts. Opeth also took the name Blackwater Park from another 70's prog band. Check out Comus as well, the title My Arms Your Hearse came directly from the lyrics of their song Drip Drip. "As I carry you to your grave, my arms your hearse ."

Yep, Still Life is my fav VDGG album, mainly because of "My Room". Pawn Hearts and World Record are cool as well. But VDGG aren't the best progressive band, I think - they sound too square and clumsy in places. Everybody should check out Peter Hammill's solo albums "Over", "The Silent Corner..." and "In Camera" for some even better music.

I like Gentle Giant better. :)

D Mullholand