Van's drumming

Necromunchkin

Lord of the Whisky
Sep 21, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
He may not be a blaster like many death metal drummers, but I don't think enough credit is given to his unique and incredibly articulate drumming style. Very solid, quality performances every album. Listening to This Godless Endeavor, I'm reminded why I consider him a favorite.

uhhhhhhhhhhh............... ok!

up1.jpg

Necromunchkin said:
He may not be a blaster like many death metal drummers, but I don't think enough credit is given to his unique and incredibly articulate drumming style. Very solid, quality performances every album. Listening to This Godless Endeavor, I'm reminded why I consider him a favorite.

AGREED BIG TIME!!!
I dont care if Van is not "As fast" as some of the Death metal drummers, he is creative and tight, LOVE his drumming skills.

I'm still getting into his style of drumming and he's really good for nevermore's music as he fits them well. I like his drumming on "The death of passion," it sounds like he's hitting the cymbals at a different time signature than the rhythm.

by the way the double bass in the chorus of "psalm of lydia" rules. Oh and you can't forget the verse drumming of "the river dragon has come," kick kick kick kick, kick-kicksnare, kickkick-kick-kkkkkkkkick...something like that, it just PUMPS ME UP!

Thats mainly why "The River Dragon Has Come" happens to be my favorite song of Nevermore. He is one of my favorites, however to be completely honest, Gene Hoglan is still above him by a bit.

bball_1523 said:
by the way the double bass in the chorus of "psalm of lydia" rules. Oh and you can't forget the verse drumming of "the river dragon has come," kick kick kick kick, kick-kicksnare, kickkick-kick-kkkkkkkkick...something like that, it just PUMPS ME UP!

TRIPLETS man.. Van KNOWS how to kick those in!

i was actually thinking about posting a thread like this. his drumming fucking amazing. i really love it, without van nevermore would lose quite a bit. I think he's one of the best players out at the moment. His style is my personal favourite, highly technical but remains really solid.

you know, i was going to make a topic like this one of these days because i think about this all the time. i dont think he gets enough credit because jeff is so proficient at his guitar, and warrel has such a unique voice. but van's drumming is damned solid. some of his patterns are pretty amazing, like the chorus of we disintegrate and some others. i think he's a great drummer.

Van uses the snare in his fills a lot. That's what I notice most about his playing.