Van's new project: Ghost Ship Octavius

I just listened to it. It's nice if that's your thing, but it's a bit generic. It's not bad by any means, but you have to really, really like that type of metal. Masterplan meets Nevermore.

Mills of the Gods was the most interesting song, imo.

I think I'm tired of the constant machine-gun-like double kick drums Van's known for. I know it's power thrash and whatnot, and I'm not saying he's a bad drummer at ALL, it's just that the whole double kick seems to get in the way as of late...in all bands. It feels like it's put there because it's the old go-to standard for metal. Imagination is what's lacking, I think.

I listen to a band through its drummer. If I don't like the drummer, I don't like the band. It's why I gave up on Iron Maiden after Clive Burr left. Van was the reason it took me a decade to finally appreciate Nevermore because I couldn't stand the machine gun double bass. I saw Nevermore live in 2000. Stood right in front of Loomis and was in awe. But after five songs of endless double bass I'd had enough.

Most people don't realize that the genius of Dave Lombardo is he knows when to STOP that shit and back off. Van certainly hasn't gotten that memo.

Traxan have you listened to every Nevermore album? Van slows it down quite a bit on each record. Endless double bass drumming describes extreme death or black metal bands but certainly not Nevermore...

Anyway I listened to the record and I like it. The vocals are nice and there are some cool atmospheric moments. The guitar riffs are generic as usual from that guy but his melodies are nice. Highlight is the vocals. Van sounds great, as usual, but nothing really jaw dropping. The production is good but the mixing isn't well done in my opinion. The vocals are too far back and the drums are too up front. It's a really bass heavy record. Overall, I'd say after first listen 6.5/7 out of ten but that is sure to change, probably up to a 7.5 or 8.

Yes I have UC. He was better about it on the early albums, but by TGE is was machine gun double bass for everything. I didn't mind the occasional overkill, like "Narcosynthesis," but when a song like "Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday" has repeated double bass bursts I draw the line.

New video. Boy that bassist sticks out. And some real Nevermore moments in this song.

Also, tour dates.

6/03 Elmhurst, NY @ Blackthorn 51
6/04 Wilmington, DE @ Bar XIII
6/05 Clifton, NJ @ Dingbatz
6/08 Asbury Park, NY @ The Saint
6/09 Niagra Falls, NY @Evening Star Concert Hall
6/10 Toronto, ON @ Coalition: T.O
6/12 Montreal, QC @ Piranha Bar
6/13 Quebec City, QC @ L’Anti Bar & Spectacles
6/15 Portland, ME @ Geno’s Rock Club
6/16 Worcester, MA @ Ralph’s Rock Diner
6/17 Agawam, MA @ The Tank American Legion Post 185
6/18 Wallingford, CT @ Cherry Street Station

Last edited:
Initially, I didn't know what you were talking about regarding the "Nevermore moments", but it's essentially a single riff. Overall this song is pretty bland. I'm not honestly sure which I prefer either between this and Ashes of Iced Earth. And what happened to Van; is he wearing makeup, or did alcoholism or age suddenly catch up within the last four years?

Yeah I noticed it as well. I'd say seeing his wife go through chemo probably took its toll on him as well.

You are right. The singer is the most obvious, but damn if the bassist doesn't look like a ghoul in some shots. That CG snow doesn't help.

BTW anyone notice this video was shot in Seattle? Interesting that Van came back to Seattle to shoot it rather than in NYC where he is.

I was at the show where this video was filmed. They were not that dressed up during the actual show. I think they filmed themselves playing on the same stage with their makeup and outfits and no crowd and spliced in some clips of the actual show to get the crowd in the video. They probably recorded it all the same day(s) while the whole band was in Seattle for the concert.