Ved Buens Ende

"i've been humiliated so many times for loving Ulver, people
around here are really close-minded"

I know how it is :cry: I've been always called "False metalhead" "raver" etc by lovely friends,but i never really mind...At least I am still listening to metal unlike most them :devil:

Bogus Blimp,When,Current93 i have only heard about them,but never any track....i think my boyfriend has some Current93 samples,so i'll check them out :)

You have a great taste!!

Wow, i found an album/demo [called 'Svatre Dauen I', or something] by When in my brother's bedroom today, BEFORE getting to read this thread... i've been trying to find info on them for most of the day, looks like i will have to go on the Jester Records site. Thanks for mentioning them, Astarte.

As for bands to try, you might want to check out Hermh. They are not as weird, or none metal as the other bands mentioned, more like progressive Black Metal. From what i can remember, they are a mixture of the 'Aspera...' and 'La Masquerade...' albums from Arcturus. They have unfortunately split up now, but you should be able to download something from them on via Audiogalaxy, if you want to try them.

SVARTEDAUEN?! it's amazing! :cry:
i always listen to it while i sleep..

As for bands to try, you might want to check out Hermh.
thanks.. i'm gonna look for it :)

I know how it is :cry: I've been always called "False metalhead" "raver" etc by lovely friends,but i never really mind...At least I am still listening to metal unlike most them :devil:
exactly same here... this people are always judging what i like, say, think, etc.. :cry:
most of them try to be "extreme" listening to grindcore and such.. but they're all posers

Greetings.

Weird albums/bands....

-Arcturus: La Masquerade Infernale... (By the way I've seen a remix album of arcturus.... Anybody with comments on this one ?)

-Mr. Bungle : Disco Volante & California

-Devil Doll : Full discography (The Girl who was... Death, Eliogabalus, Sacreligium, Sacrilege at Fatal Arms (very hard to find) and Dies Irae).... This is in my Top three bands of all times. I'd be tempted to describe it as an "Evil yet very beautiful/compelling Nightmare Before Christmas".... Yes, you can raise your eyebrow.

-Aphex Twin : DRUKQS (sp?)... I don't own it, but still, it's..... Aphex Twin

-Devin Townsend : Infinity. Amazing guy he definitely is. Anything made by him is monumental.

-Naked City (John Zorn) : Torture Garden/Len'g T'che (sp?). Now this is extreme, this is sick, yet this is performed by masterminds. Jazz (Zorn is a saxophonist)/Rockabilly/Bebop/Grindcore/Death... And so on. These records (put together on one box set) easilly match in aggression (and beyond, if you ask me) any Extreme (and I really mean extreme) band out there on the metal scene. And.... be sure to buy the one with the original artwork. Recommended for the demented.

-Anything with Mike Patton : Fantomas, Maldoror, Faith no more...

That should do for now...

Originally posted by Melancholia

:lol:
Yep,i've read about this in a psot in some of these forums....
but still i can't really believe that
The only thing I know that the awful sound (I love it!!!!!) was done deliberately hehe

as for VBE I could only find this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/yt/xytraguptorh/vedbuensende.html
which is not informative at all...it's just their releases and the tracklist of the albums.....
I guess you can download some of their stuff in Audiogalaxy?
I have no idea :(

Checked out the page, the cover of their first album is hilarious :D

Tried downloading smthg of theirs from WinMX, no luck
:(

Attachments

• writtenwaters.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 44
-Arcturus: La Masquerade Infernale... (By the way I've seen a remix album of arcturus.... Anybody with comments on this one ?)

yea, Arcturus and the Deception Circus is actually a band they formed with a couple of other people. There are remixes and new songs recorded during the La Masqeurade sessions. I like it a lot.

Blue Moon@ since you mentioned Devil Doll,I am thinking buying one of their albums as a present for my boyfriend's sister.I'm sure she will love it :)I need some help,cause I have only "Dies Irae" which absolutely fantastic... (I have it on CDrec :eek: but i will soon do sth about it!) Which album is your favourite one/the best?
Are their albums easy to find?

Greetings.

Sorry for the long time, I can only access the internet while at job right now.

That being said... Wow, I can finally a bit more about one of my favorite bands ever, from any musical style I listen to.

One thing : Dies Irae is the last album they ever made (out of four/five, I'll explain why) is, IMO, the easiest to get into. Not necessarily the best, but probably the most "upbeat" album Mr. Doctor ever made.

By chronological order :

-"The Girl who was... Death" : What a good first album... As strange as it may sound, the concept of the album is based upon the old series called "The Prisonner" (with the famous quote "I am not a number !!!"). I love that album very much ; the feeling, as expected from DD, is a very complicated mix of anxiety, theatrical grandeur, fear and nevrosis. The Highlight of the album : about five minutes after the start of the album, there's an AWESOME violin solo (fast and furious) that makes the album worth it. It's pretty hard to explain this album, but I think it could be a good purchase to introduce your friend to the band.

-"Eliogabalus" : Probably the "least good" of all, though it's still excellent. It's the only album with two distinct songs ("Mr. Doctor" and "Eliogabalus") ; all the others are only one big song. The mood of this album is quite different, it's more quiet, it's less "big" than it's predecessor and the ones following it. Nonetheless, it's not a bad album, far from it ; I would simply not recommend it as a first buy.

-"Sacrilegium" : This album would be my pick as the most frightening the band has made. It's back to the style of the first album, with maybe a little more budget. There's a choir once more, as well as an orchestra (although it's not as bombastic as Dies Irae). The lyrics on this album are awesome by the way. I think it would be the best choice to buy to your friend, as this album is a grower, hard to get into at first, but hell it's good when you assimilate.

-"Sacrilege at Fatal Arm" : Now this is hard to find, but if you ever see it, BUY IT. Believe me, you will not be disapointed. It came out after Sacrilegium, it uses all of the previous album's musical parts but they are mixed differently (aka not in the same order) ; plus this SaFA has even more music to it that weren't featured on Sacrilegium. If I remember correctly, it runs around 65 minutes, and then there's a bonus track hidden after four minutes of silence (the same bonus track as Sacrilegium). This album is in fact the official soundtrack of a movie Mr. Doctor made for his university (did I mention this guy is really a doctor -- twice ?? Got a doc. in philosophy and criminology). If I have to compare Sacrilegium and SaFA, I'd prefer the last one ; I think it's mixed more effectively to create the atmosphere he really wanted in the first place, and the additional musical bits are really good, not just filler IMO.

So my verdict would be :
1. SaFA
2. Sacrilegium
3. The Girl who was... Death (although #2 and 3 could be replaced by the other one I think)

Hope this helps Melancholia, although I think I was a bit incoherent. I'd like to know wich one you bought and what was her comment on it,

Thank u for the long reply :) I'll keep these info in mind. I will actually print them ;)
Today I went to the a gothic/electro/ambient etc CD store in Athens,but they didn't have any Devil Doll Cds :cry: what a pity...
I guess i won't find any in the metal stores,but still there is a big Cdshop in my town,maybe i'll be lucky there
*crosses her fingers*

I'll let you know as soon as I'll get sth..and hehe I'll buy a Devil Doll cd for myself as well :) I think I want all!!

Just found out this forum....

Yeah, I am longtime Ulver & Arcturus fan too.
All of their releases are great/unique(as all of you already know by now);)
I find Ved Buens Ende, Bogus Blimp, Monumentum and Solefald pretty interesting.

Has anyone heard of Yearning's Plaintive Scenes?
You HAVE to check this out.

I think it's the only album that can stand arm-to-arm with Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale, though in some more depressive/doomy form.
It is released on Holy Records in 1999.

Originally posted by discouraged1
I find Ved Buens Ende, Bogus Blimp, Monumentum and Solefald pretty interesting.

The music of BOGUS BLIMP is psyched, wierd and insane! hehe
My friend has an album (maybe they only have one album out?)
of their's and the music really gets on your nerves! :lol:

Same with WHEN and their "Psychadelic Wünderbaum".
Just read the album title and you understand! :loco:

I haven't really got a hold of these two bands, so i can't
say of i like the music or not!

Originally posted by Brutalizer
The music of BOGUS BLIMP is psyched, wierd and insane! hehe
My friend has an album (maybe they only have one album out?)
of their's and the music really gets on your nerves! :lol:

Bogus Blimp have released two albums: men-mic & cords.wires :)