VHT GP-3 preamp

mr.L.

Jul 25, 2006
Netherlands
Saw one of these while looking online for a possible new preamp. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they compare to other pre's and does anyone have any clips of them? Any feedback is much appreciated :)

I'm not a huge fan. Although it sounds very organic compared to other preamps, it's definitely not for metal, and the MIDI is not designed that well.

If you're looking for a cool preamp, I'd suggest an ADA MP-1.

I think he was just using the poweramp, :???:

Anyway, I had one, but it didn't really deliver the sound I was looking for. I think the UL or CL on its own sounds way better than a GP3 + 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 together, but that's just me. There's a gain mod on the VHT forum for this preamp, but I just went back to using my MP-1/VHT 2/50/2, rather than spend time trying to mod it.

I had one years ago - I may have had a bad unit, but I wasn't willing to give it another try due to the issue + their MIDI implementation. Here's part of my HC review on the unit addressing the deal breaker for me:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/VHT/Valvulator+GP3+Preamp/10/1

I've read the GP-3 contains a thermal sensor to shut it down if/when it overheats...then there's the case completely enclosing all the tubes. I didn't see a fan on my unit either and the ventilation looked poor. I kept my GP-3 in a very well ventilated rack. For the first few days of owning this, I used it maybe 30-40 minutes at a time and would shut it down. Around day 5 I left it on while surfing the web after playing for maybe 20-30 minutes. Somewhere around 1.5 hours into the unit being on I was startled by a sudden high-midrange hum...not a pleasant hum either - very irritating. The volume on my guitar was off, btw...it wasn't feedback. The GP-3 was so hot I couldn't touch it for longer than a second...it was so hot it could/would have easily have given me blisters from the heat. I tried pushing buttons, turning knobs, and messing with the 6-band EQ, but nothing made the hum disappear. Moving the lowest frequency slider on the 6-band EQ did cause the hum to change pitch slightly. Turning the unit off, then on did not make the hum disappear....it only functioned normally when I kept if off for several hours - long enough to cool off.

Unfortunately, the scenario with the irritating hum occurred two more times as I guessed it had something to do with leaving the unit on for more than an hour...the hum happened without fail. Also, this hum is the ONLY thing I was able to hear when this was happening - I tried playing my guitar while the hum was occurring, but heard NO guitar at all...nothing but hum.