circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Virgin Black – Requiem – Mezzo Forte
The End Records – TE081 – April 3, 2007
By Jason Jordan

virginblack.jpg

I can think of no other band attempting a feat as epic as Virgin Black are in 2007. As you may have read, the Australian quartet will release not one, not two, but three (!) full-length albums this year, and in an unexpected yet logical turn of events, Requiem – Mezzo Forte has arrived first, even though it’s actually intended to be the second installment. It seems a wise move, however, to deliver MF before the classical-centered Requiem – Pianissimo and metal-loaded Requiem – Fortissimo because, style-wise, this is essentially middle ground and should throw fewer people for a loop than either of the extremes listed above. Needless to say, those who enjoy Sombre Romantic and Elegant…and Dying will be pleased with their latest effort. It may not surpass them, but it’s a good record in its own right.

Mezzo Forte, reportedly unlike its predecessor and successor, is fairly evenhanded as far as classical and metal are concerned. There’s a fair amount of both, but rarely do Virgin Black intertwine their approaches like traditional blending would have you believe. Instead, usually one or the other takes center stage, and on cinematic orchestra-laden opener ‘Requiem, Kyrie,’ classical music is the obvious focal point. While mostly doom in nature, death rears its head occasionally, but it appears the band’s days of flirting with black metal are all but over until, perhaps, Fortissimo sees the light of day. It also goes without saying that those who find VB dull because their songs frequently drag, and/or are turned off by the copious male and female operatic vocals, will still be as disinterested as ever.

Metal seeps its way back into Mezzo Forte during ‘In Death,’ which drenches the listener in disheartening lyrics like “O misery you live / I have been struck and am suffering / O misery you live / You take bread from hands / That hold so little.” An occasional growl does indeed enlarge the cloud of heaviness that hovers over such a powerful dirge – enhanced by the foreboding, war-predicting snare drum patterns. Still, I can understand how certain individuals would quickly grow tired of music that could double as a film score. But, to be fair, Virgin Black have never been an easy, casual listen because their albums are too demanding insofar as they require nearly undivided attention. Their scope, in short, is wide.

Sombre Romantic aficionados in particular will recognize the quasi-return of ‘Drink the Midnight Hymn’ in ‘Midnight’s Hymn,’ which has been re-recorded, though follower ‘…and I Am Suffering’ is less compelling. Variation is evidently a hand Virgin Black play well, and ‘Domine’ is a solid example due to the many different kinds of vocals they utilize in addition to slight tempo changes. A morose, melancholy title like ‘Lacrimosa (I Am Blind with Weeping)’ encapsulates the emotions that radiate from the opening strings and subsequent, distortion-riddled doom riffs, which choir chants – a recurring element in Mezzo Forte – back up. ‘Rest Eternal’ is simply a brief, fitting end that functions as the denouement rather than the climax.

More often than not, I can comprehend why someone wouldn’t care for the music of Virgin Black, or Mezzo Forte specifically, for the reasons listed above. Their songs have a tendency to drag their feet, the vocals can be off-putting, and the fact that the disc could substitute for a film score doesn’t necessarily work in their favor. Nevertheless, I have to admit that this is yet another good addition to the group’s discography, but knowing my tastes, I’m sure I’ll prefer Fortissimo over the first and second albums of the Requiem trilogy. If you’re a fan, get this. If not, and as always with VB, approach with caution.

Official Virgin Black Website
Official The End Records Website

Haven't heard the album yet - it's high on my list - but it seems like an accurate assessment. They are a very talented band and I was hoping that the collaboration with the orchestra would refine their songwriting skills which became a bit tired on their previous album. You're right - despite many good ideas, their songs do drag and I have reservations whether they can produce enough material to make three albums when they may have just been better making one or two.