VIVIAN CAMPBELL Had 'No Idea' That TENACIOUS D Covered 'The Last In Line' And Won A GRAMMY

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Original DIO guitarist Vivian Campbell says that he had "no idea" that TENACIOUS D won a Grammy for its cover version of the DIO classic "The Last In Line". Four years ago, TENACIOUS D was honored with a Grammy in the "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" category in the pre-telecast ceremony at the 57th annual Grammy Awards, which was held on February 8, 2015 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. TENACIOUS D was nominated for its rendition of "The Last In Line", from the "Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life" tribute album, 100% of proceeds from which go to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund. Campbell, who played on the first three DIO studio albums, including the original version of "The Last In Line", was asked in a new interview with "Do You Know Jack?" for his opinion of TENACIOUS D's cover. "I have no idea," Vivian responded. "That's news to me. I didn't even know it existed, let alone that it won a Grammy. That's amazing. So, no, obviously, I've never heard it. I remember hearing TENACIOUS D doing a song about Dio, an original TENACIOUS D track. This is many, many, many years ago when Ronnie was still alive. I remember hearing that and reading something that [Jack Black of TENACIOUS D] had met Ronnie and they collaborated on something. But I had no idea that he's done a version of 'The Last In Line'." Vivian continued: "It's always very flattering when somebody references something you've done in your career, regardless of whether it's an authentic cover or a parody or something, or whatever it is. It's still all very flattering." TENACIOUS D beat out several notable metal acts at the 2015 Grammy Awards, including ANTHRAX, which was nominated for its own contribution to "Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life", a cover of the BLACK SABBATH classic "Neon Knights". "Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life" was released in April 2014 via Rhino. Vivian is currently a member of LAST IN LINE, which was formed in 2012 when he, drummer Vinny Appice and bassist Jimmy BainRonnie James Dio's co-conspirators and co-writers on the "Holy Diver", "Last In Line" and "Sacred Heart" albums — teamed up with esteemed vocalist Andrew Freeman. LAST IN LINE's sophomore album, "II", was released on February 22 via Frontiers Music Srl.

Continue reading...