Vocals in serperate project? (and a bonus question)

Pdennis89

Jan 8, 2011
would this make much of a difference? i always use the waves sll g buss on my mixes, and a love the way it makes my instrumentals sound. but alot of the time i have trouble with vocals. even if i smash the dynamics out of them i find that sometimes they get buried in certain parts. should i track them over a .wav of the completed mix in a new project? or do i just suck? also, are the chango studios drum samples worth buying?

The chango samples aren't very good from what everyone said. There wasn't very good velocity layers. and, it sounds pretty much like SSD, but worse

I always bounce my music into a new project to record vox. And the Chango samples don't absolutely suck, but you're very limited on things you can do with them. I bought them and will gladly use them if a band asks me to.

^ hopefully you're at least working in a stem session then cause what if you need to drop the volume of the guitars for a part to make the vocals work better? Or the bass, if its not an important bass part but it opens up the section for backing vox to sit better? If you're only working with a stereo file of the full music mix you can't make those adjustments to the individual elements

isn't that a lot of extra work? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just have your vocals in the master session with everything else so when you notice something wrong you just make your adjustment then and there?

I've done what you do just to conserve track count / processing before when my resources were limited but I always did it with stems of the music cause you never really know how some parts are gonna truly sound or react when you drop in a mess of vocals

^^^i get the music to where I want it, then export to new project. If I notice something I missed or something new to fix with the stereo wav file I go back, fix it, then re-export.

I do the exact same thing and while it does seem like a lot of extra work, it really isnt. Its made my mix time cut in half surprisingly.

I bounce a stereo track to record vocal in a different session for CPU and latency but I then export the edited vocal back into the original project to work on automation etc. Freezing tracks means the added track count does nothing to add to CPU load.

I bounce a stereo track to record vocal in a different session for CPU and latency but I then export the edited vocal back into the original project to work on automation etc.

This. Exactly.

In a separate session I can drop the buffer down to where I can track vocals with CLA comp(s) on the way in with no latency. Great for the vocalist to monitor with while tracking, plus they get recorded with the compression printed.

Yeah, I always track vocals and guitars in separate sessions and then import them into the master session. No latency and allows you to fully concentrate on the vocals or guitars without the rest of the mix distracting you. I also do all the editing in the separate session and do some basic automation so they're ready to go when I drop them in the master session.

^ Guys ... I do the same damn thing as you for TRACKING vocals ... maybe I missed something or something got twisted up along the way but I don't remember the OP being about TRACKING vocals. Maybe its what he meant but to me, from his description and question, it sounded more about MIXING vocals in a separate session against a stereo mix of the music

but alot of the time i have trouble with vocals. even if i smash the dynamics out of them i find that sometimes they get buried in certain parts.

^ Guys ... I do the same damn thing as you for TRACKING vocals ... maybe I missed something or something got twisted up along the way but I don't remember the OP being about TRACKING vocals. Maybe its what he meant but to me, from his description and question, it sounded more about MIXING vocals in a separate session against a stereo mix of the music

Touché.

However, it would be fucking retarded to mix vocals in a separate project, so I think we felt it was safe to assume he meant tracking. Or, at least, I did, anyway. And better yet, he did ask if he should track them over a stem in a separate project.

i had to both track and mix vocals in a separate project a few times due to CPU issue...then i got a new computer, and said fuck that shit!

tracking in a separate project is all good...but mixing vocals over a single stereo .wav is no bueno senor!