Vocals on the new album

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hey Paul,

Having listened to the new album many times, I can't help but think of Ray Alder when I hear you song, especially during the harmonized vocals. Would you call yourself a fan of his work in Fates Warning or Redemption? What other bands were you and the other guys in the band listening to while writing and recording the new disc?

I am very pleased with the album. So far, it is the only prog metal disc I enjoy from start to finish this year. Hopefully with the release of Dream Theater, Vangough, and Arch/Matheos, I'll have a few more to add to the list.

By the way, here's my review of the new disc:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=11277

Hope it helps spread the word a bit.

Thanks!

Hey Batmura!

Thanks for the great review! Glad you like the album and really glad you got to know it very well before reviewing :D Also cool that you're the only one so far who has accurately described the way the Bass parts were tracked. (I didn't really think it was that confusing, but most reviews seem to get it wrong one way or the other, lol)

About the vocals. Hmm, interesting. Of course I am a fan of Ray Alder. Especially the albums Parallels, Inside Out and A Pleasant Shade of Gray. That was really the time I was first getting into prog metal, so I'm sure there was a big impression left on me even though that was also before I really started singing more seriously. However, I really haven't listened to those albums for a long time (and the Redemption albums I haven't heard at all really...maybe a track or two) so I can't say there was any direct "influence" on my work for this album.

However, I do think we both favor a similar approach. I guess you could describe it as more personal, emotional, direct (at least that's how I see it) as opposed to some more dramatic or theatrical singers. I also wouldn't be surprised if we both had some similar influences. I don't know, but I would guess that Steve Walsh (Kansas) was an influence on Ray--I seem to hear it anyway--and he is definitely a huge influence of mine.

In any case, I'm definitely honored that you'd think of Ray when you hear my vocals, a big compliment for sure! :)

Thanks for the feedback, and for spreading the word & supporting Sun Caged! Cheers!

-Paul

The Vocals are the highlight on the already phenominal album; Reductio ad Absurdum alone solidifies your place in vocal immortality. I seriously hope Ajren A Lucassen considers you for the next Aryeon, escpecially since he produced the first album, so you guys have history kinda. Maybe he'll let you "return the favor" :):);):):)

Lyre's (haha so weird to call someone by a nickname that's from a lyric I wrote ;) THANKS bro! very, very kind words! I'm flattered!

I did meet Arjen once at PPE. It was just after Marcel's Colour Journey album had been completed (and Marcel had shared a preview with Arjen.) He told me he really liked the song "Patron Saint" which I sang. I was honored to hear that, and later Marcel told me that Arjen doesn't give compliments like that very often :D So who knows...stranger things have happened!

Of course from Arjen's perspective, it makes more sense for him to work with already established, bigger name artists, so that means all you SUN CAGED fans have to make sure we're known haha :D

Thanks for the support again!

Just stumbled onto this album recently. Phenomenal!! And I definitely hear the Steve Walsh influence on PAV’s voice, similar to someone like Ted Leonard. Maybe – but still very unique and SO strong. Highlight performance on the (very, very good) record, in my opinion.

Hey Kaotic Order & Concsious Pilot!

Sorry for slow response. I just moved and we've had no internet since about Sept 24th! Finally back online....anyway, THANKS for the support!

Great to know that the album still has a little momentum, as well as staying power :)

Also, with regards to Ted Leonard, it's funny, I've often been told I remind people of him. And while I think he's an amazing singer, I don't actually think we sound that much alike, BUT at the same time I can also hear Steve Walsh's influence on him clearly. Funny how that works, haha. Anyway, I think your comment is spot on, we're both definitely big fans of Steve Walsh. (and who wouldn't be? SW is one of the all-time greatest!) And here's another tangent. I remember reading Steve Walsh saying that HE thought Paul Rodgers is perhaps the greatest rock singer of all time (a sentiment with which I heartily agree!) but he also said that he had to remind himself not to "try" and sing like Paul Rodgers because it never quite worked. Wise words I think. You never sound like the guy you're trying to sound like, AND more importantly, you end up not sounding as good as YOURSELF, when you're NOT trying to sound like someone. haha. I have this same kind of conundrum with Tommy Shaw (Styx / Damn Yankees) who'd I'd have to say is easily my biggest influence, but I also have to remind myself not to "try" and sing like him. (but often the influence comes shining through anyway, haha.

Cheers everyone, and now that I'm back online I'll try to be more interactive!

-Paul

Welcome "back"! Yes, that's exactly what I meant – I believe I can can hear the SW influence on both of you. You and TL don't sound the same, per se, but there are nuances this layman/music fan can hear, whether it’s actual fact - who knows!? Ha, ha

Funny about your comment regarding Paul Rodgers (amazing vocalist!), I recently heard a current band (that shall remain unnamed) somewhere (a hockey rink PA, I believe) covering the song Bad Company and I commented that why on God’s Green Earth would someone attempt to sing that particular song when it’s the vocal performance that makes that song work in the first place?

Tommy Shaw. I can hear that too! What a fantastic singer. Crystal Ball, one of my favorite songs of all time…

Thanks for talking the time to respond!

That is funny! In fact, I think you could say that for the majority of Free, Bad Company & Paul's solo stuff too. Some great songs mixed in there, but for the most part, they are pretty basic and simple (not even saying that as a negative), but what makes the recordings remarkable is Mr. Rodgers' performances. Absolutely. I think "All Right Now" is an even better example of what you described. How many millions of times has that song been covered or karaoked and ALWAYS been boring at best, SUCK at worst, haha. And yet you hear that original recording and it jams like hell! (of course Paul Kossoff's brilliant guitar is another component of that!) Or another great song: Seagull. Musically it's one of the most simplistic songs ever. But I could listen to that recording over and over...and even better, when I saw PR do that one live it was transcendant!

And yes, Crystal Ball! I could go on and on with lists of my favorite Tommy Shaw songs and moments, but in the end it always comes back to Crystal Ball. One of my favorite songs of all time as well!

Cheers!