Voivod - Target Earth

Aug 14, 2008
I'm a big Voivod fan. Well, the classic stuff. I feel really shitty about saying this , but I wasn't a big fan of the last 3 albums that Piggy wrote before he passed, at all. And further, it feels equally weird to say that the new stuff with the new guy sounds absolutely incredible. Completely reminds me of the Nothingface era!

Here's a new track

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/27/exclusive-track-premiere-voivods-target-earth/

P4k premiered another track a few months back that was great too. Wat u think?

I'm a big Voivod fan. Well, the classic stuff. I feel really shitty about saying this , but I wasn't a big fan of the last 3 albums that Piggy wrote before he passed, at all. And further, it feels equally weird to say that the new stuff with the new guy sounds absolutely incredible. Completely reminds me of the Nothingface era!

Here's a new track

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/27/exclusive-track-premiere-voivods-target-earth/

P4k premiered another track a few months back that was great too. Wat u think?

I love Voivod. I also didnt really like the past few they have put out. While they were not bad albums...just nothing really stuck out or made you want to go back and explore them more. I am a huge fan of thier early stuff. I am looking forward to this.

I just felt like they were trying too hard to be a rock band with the last bunch of albums and it just didn't work. Like, even with Jason Newstead on bass and doing Ozzfest, it did nothing for them. So it's just like, why even bother you know? Glad they are hitting the ground running with this new one, but shame it had to come at the cost of Piggy's passing.

I think the music is excellent and indeed goes back to the classic Voivod era. However, the weak link for me is Snake's vox. I don't know, his vocals didn't bother me in the past, he was even very good IMO on albums like The Outer Limits and Angel Rat, but the 2 new tracks I heard so far suffer from weak vocals IMO and the lack of catchiness. Voivod used to have hooks in their songs, but I don't hear anything remotely catchy here...

So Diabolik and Aeonic agree on something. That means the whole 12/21 apocalypse is on, right? Or do we need Jason to complete the trilogy?

We actually agree on quite alot of things to the point where I'd say we're 50/50. Almost all movie threads in the lounge are pretty much the two of us e-patting eachothers asses.

So Diabolik and Aeonic agree on something. That means the whole 12/21 apocalypse is on, right? Or do we need Jason to complete the trilogy?

LOL - Why do you think I have yet to comment on this thread!!!

Agreed on all points.
I felt the comeback ST was mediocre at best.
It didnt last in my collection more than 6 months after it came out.
I too thought it was weird that they made the attempt at mainstream attention.
I mean, I guess who could blame them for trying?
They certainly deserve it as much as anyone else and they already had mainstream attention from Jasonic being in the band.

As far as Dan goes, I saw him live at Chicago Powerfest with Martyr.
While tech thrash really isn't my thing overall, they were a great live band that definitely has chops.

Looking forward to this and hope for some live dates.

I just felt like they were trying too hard to be a rock band with the last bunch of albums and it just didn't work. Like, even with Jason Newstead on bass and doing Ozzfest, it did nothing for them. So it's just like, why even bother you know? Glad they are hitting the ground running with this new one, but shame it had to come at the cost of Piggy's passing.

exactly....what I dont want is just a rehash of Dimension Hatross just for the sake of it. I would like to see an evolution like Nothingface but even a step farther with all the great hooks and twist and turns.

Your statement is total true about them wanting to be almost a rock band and not what they were. They have always been on the outskirts of music and no reason for them trying to be something they are not. I am really hoping this new one puts them back on the map.

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/194851 :

Canadian metal legends VOIVOD will release their 13th studio album, Target Earth, on January 21st in Europe and January 22nd in North America via Century Media Records. In anticipation of this release, the band has now posted the official Target Earth EPK, featuring behind-the-scenes footage, plus an exclusive interview with Away (Michel Langevin) and Chewy (Daniel Mongrain) about the making of the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
VOIVOD - Pro-Shot Footage Of Entire Hellfest Concert Streaming

Professionally-filmed video footage of VOIVOD's entire June 23rd concert at Hellfest in Clisson, France can be seen at this location. Joining the band on stage were their former bassist Jason Newsted (ex-METALLICA) and singer Philip Anselmo (DOWN/ex-PANTERA) to perform the songs 'Voivod' and 'Astronomy Domine' (PINK FLOYD cover), respectively.