Voltage Regulator/UPS?

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
I'm moving into a new place, and was looking to invest in a Furman AR-1215 to protect my gear from spikes, and a battery backup from Office Depot to keep my computer running in case of a power outage.

Now I'm looking at the F1000-UPS as it does both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FURMAN-F1000-UP...867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196a0686b

I've been using a cheap Furman for a while now and haven't had any problems, but I invested in some new gear and having some kind of protection would give me peace of mind. Does anyone know of a cheaper/better way to go about this?

it's refurbished...i wouldn't recommend any electronic that has been repaired before.

I have those things in my studio and they are very needed. I have a Monster pro 3500 for surges/spikes/voltage monitoring, etc.
and i bought a UPS unit that gives me 30 minutes of power, if the light goes out to save and close the session and turn off everything properly. But usually 30 min is enough for the light to come back everytime.
any of the furmans will do man. there's some cheap ones for 80 bucks or less. just a voltage regulator and spike/surge protector. and you can buy the ups unit at a office depo, or some store like that, they'll do the same job.

About a year ago we had a thread about this, I posted a bunch of info. Watch out for the lowend Furman stuff, most of it is just a glorified power strip that doesn't do any real kind of power conditioning or regulation. What you need is something that has a transformer in it- like the higher end monster/furman gear.

BUT- those brands are a complete rip off price wise. You can get better results with one of these, one of these, and one of these. A total of about $150, and will kick the crap out of the gazillion dollar markup Monster stuff.

Thanks for the advice, bros! I read through that thread from last year a few times but was still a little confused as to what the actual product options are (excluding Monster, Furman, Tripp Lite). I'll go with your recommendations Wolfeman, looks perfect for what I need and only takes up one rack space instead of 2-3. Thanks for saving me $300! :Smokin:

Just make sure you watch the wattage you pull, stay within the specs and you'll be fine. I use 2 of the APC Line-R's, one on each side of my desk, and split the load between them.

So if I were to buy two of the Line-R's...

Mac Pro/Monitor/External HD --> Battery Backup --> Line-R #1 --> Outlet #1

All other rack gear --> Non-voltage regulating Furman (or the PSB9 that you mentioned) --> Line-R #2 --> Outlet #2

And if all of the rack equipment is more than 1200w, plug some of it into the remaining ports on the first Line-R?

Just get a wattmeter and figure out what you're actually pulling. They're cheap.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292277489&sr=8-1[/ame]

Wolfeman thanks for the great info. One thing the furmans do have is rf filtering (a couple of resistors really) but I have found that it helps. Obviously it does nothing to address voltage.

know what..
I'm not using anything like that and I've got no problems...very clean sound.
I gotta admit, I took care of some issues when I built this place (star grounding, sperate phases for shit like computers and amps etc)

The voltage regulators are working great, and I just got the APC battery backup. I charged it up, plugged it into one of the Line-Rs with my computer, monitor, and usb hard drive being all plugged into it.

The overload light/noise were going off so I tried just putting the computer on it, and it was still freaking out. Would it be dangerous to try plugging the UPS into the wall first and running the regulator off of that (with everything plugged into that instead)?