circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Vore – Maleficus
Vore/Frozen Solid Music – FSCD1003 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

Maleficus02.jpg

Thing is, not much goes on in Arkansas. Hence the conception of Vore, a mid-paced death metal band that tears shit up while ignoring the breakneck speed that riddles much of the subgenre. Unlike a blitzkrieg, this ain’t fast, nor is it sudden. As long as we’re referencing World War II, though, I’d liken Maleficus to a Panzer division encroaching on friendly soil. In other words, the threat is looming but there’s not a damn thing you can do to prevent the strike. Maleficus itself is a momentous 35 minutes, and it’s a shame that these guys have remained obscure for the past 10 years.

At any rate, Vore lurch through the material on this disc, and are somewhat comparable to Immolation, if speed is left out of the equation. Couple the aforementioned observations with the fact that the group has the panache of The Chasm and are equally as epic. Thus, we’ve got a winner. After a misty introduction, “Maleficus” swoops down with its jumpy rhythms, though Townsley wastes no time flexing his throat muscles like Paré (Quo Vadis) did on “Silence Calls the Storm,” circa Defiant Imagination. Be prepared for the 2:20 minute mark, however, because Vore transition into intermittent tribal chanting. Meanwhile – back at the ranch – double-bass drumming functions as the backbone, and the chugging riffs simply cannot be denied. “Legion of Martyrs,” despite being a brief interlude, ups the epic quality tremendously, which provides a terrific lead-up to the pummeling “Misery Embrace.” “Ashes” is like the guitar-driven instrumental portions of old Metallica, and furthermore is the only true break from the crushing weight that is Maleficus. Perhaps desiring to throw a change-up, “Wrath Wrought Ruin” sees these Arkansans at their swiftest, though they revert back to their mid-tempo assault, and the beats they utilize between 3:40 and 4:15 are those Kataklysm once used on Serenity in Fire. Still, “Fall Unto Chaos” proves an extol-worthy finish, plus it serves as the most doom-laden piece on this sophomore, full-length recording.

The only bad thing I have to say about Maleficus is that the bass drums sound too clicky, but otherwise, Vore have done a great job composing, producing, and performing this self-released effort. ‘Tis a death metal outing you shouldn’t miss, providing you’re able to take a rest from the usual 382302930290 bpm of most other death metallers. If I were a label, then I’d book a flight to Arkansas immediately! Wait, do they have airports?

8/10

Official Vore Website

I totally enjoyed this...a nice respite from ultra-fast, ultra-tech death metal, but not as simple as SFU or Obituary. Kind of like the slower and mid-tempo parts of Nile with an occasional speed up. Some of the best fantasy-oriented lyrics I've read in a while,too...

Thanks for the killer review man, we're glad you liked Maleficus ! We're going to be servicing the album to metal radio this spring via Skateboard Marketing, so probably around late March or so you guys should be able to phone your local metal radio station and request some Vore !

-Page