VSTs Eat Sonar 7, Sound Drops Out Question

PetyaVenikov

Cheesemaster
Jun 8, 2007
Hi
I am running Sonar 7 on a :
Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
2.00 GB of RAM machine

My system is clean, I defrag regularly, music is on a separate external drive; Sonar sessions are on a separate external drive.

When I run more than two instances of Revalver alongside EZDrummer the sound drops out both during playback, and recording; uses 100% of both CPUs. This seems strange, my system has enough might to handle such plug-ins and load.

If I use PerfectSpace or Voxengo Boogex to load impulses [ stock, or guitarhack ] the system also hick-ups.

Is there anything I can do besides creating a new workflow to optimize how my Sonar runs?

thank you.

This is totally normal with revalver or any plugin using impulses. It is extremely CPU heavy especially when the resample button is not engaged. Just use the Sonar feature "apply fx" on the revalver tracks after you record them and then disable the revalver vst instance on the track. Your Pentium 4 is doing great even running two instances of this plugin.

I found that convolution reverbs are not very CPU hungry - maybe impulse length is to much? I suppose that for cab simulation length of <100 ms is enough.
And with such length CPU consumption is minimal, at least in Voxengo PristineSpace or PerfectSpace (in Sonar). This may be sonar problem.

Thanks a lot for the feedback - much appreciated

If I figure a simpler solution or a viable work-around I'll post them here - for now I will try the "apply effect" solution.

thanks again.