VXT4's wow!

Klosure

Nov 26, 2009
Just got some VXT4's to replace my Rokit 8's.

I got them cheap, half the price as they ex demo but in great condition.

I was concerned going to such a small speaker (might get the sub but I am not sure if it will work well in my room).

I have to say though that they seems to sound so much more... deep compared to the rokits.

When I strap my headphones (HD-25)'s on it goes so squashed sounding - much like the rokits used to sound.

They are definitely not exciting as such just so clear. It makes me wonder what a pair of barefoots sound like.

Anyway I feel a little safer now cos those rokits just sounded bullshit (not horrible just bullshit).

Just wondering.. do you really need the sub for rock/metal? I man other than making it a bit more deep isnt it better to get the stuff on the smaller speakers cos I don't know anyone with 10 inch speakers.

Also how critical is the quality of the sub, I noticed the KRK one is basically a rokit speaker, they dont use kevlar.

oh and my headphones go low down with the bass, can I just use those?

Replacing your horse with an donkey. I'm unfamiliar with that phrase. I have some rokit 5's that I use day to day that are pretty decent. No complaints on them for itunes use. Haven't head any of the VXT's.

Dude!You replaced 8's for 4's?!Looks like replacing your horse with an donkey to me!

yea a dead horse!

The Rokit 8's do not compare to to the VXT's side by side I compared them and the Rokits just sounded blurry and muddy by comparison and that was the G2's mine were the G1's

I haven't heard VXTs,
don't even want to deal with KRK stuff anymore,
after working with Rokit8,,,this muddy piece of crap.

yea probably their higher end stuff is better,but if i had that kinda money,i'd never consider KRK

Yea I agree, the rokit 8's are shit for mixing.

I have decided to keep them as a second monitor set. For listening generally they sound so cool, but for mixing they seem to be hollow in the mids like a smiley face EQ.

But compairing the reverb truely shows whats wrong its almost like there is just something missing... the detail

but they give me plenty of bass bottom end as they sound completely different I think I should cover my bases - but it explains why my mixes never translated well of the rokits as they are rubbish for mixing

I also replaced Rp8's with VXT4's about a year ago. Absolutely no comparison, VXT's are way better. Sure the rp8's had more bass but is that really that important when the rest of the spectrum is far Inferior to the VXT's... Im no engineer but im not deaf. As far as the sub, I believe that depends on the size of your room, for me...my room is isnt that big so its unnecessary.

Enjoy the VXT's...an there accuracy over the Rp's!

hmm, not sure about sub I have kept the rokit 8's for a bit to sit side by side might just keep them but its confusing as you flick between between both as the rokits seems to suddenly loose like all the mids when you pop them on its well fucked.. I cant quite understand KRK's intentions unless they are desinged as a second set of monitors.

I would say they sound like mid-fields... they must be

Oh and if anyone can show me a good mix they have done on just Rokits I would love to hear it and laugh!

Not bad..

I am compairing to the rokit G1's to be fair I think the g2s are a bit closer to the VXT's.

I think I could have gotten here with them in the end, but dont you find a lot of the mid stuff to be... screwy?

the VXTs are nice, or at least the 6s are, haven't tried any of the others. Miles ahead of the RP series. Actually the VXT8s are becoming a bit of a standard in london studios apparently.

Ive spent a bit of time just playing getting to learn the VXT4's and I find they translate great.

When you swap to the Rokit 8's its a sudden swap over to something very different. But I think I will keep the 8's as I can use them just to check impact due to the bass. Having both is going to save me burning of million of CD's anyway.