Wacken Open Air

Jun 12, 2006
Ever since I heard about this show I was blown away at the sheer number and variety of bands who play there yearly. When I learned Bodom was a regular fixture at this show, I became excited.
Until I learned it was in Germany.
Nothing against it, I just happen to be probably the farthest distance from there possible.

Hopefully at some point in the next few years I'll be able to take a Eurotrip and I'd like to time it with Wacken so that I can see the show.
The questions I'd like to ask are, to those that have been:
Would it be worth flying around the world to see?
What could I expect to see there? and finally,
IS IT AS AWESOME AS I DREAM IT TO BE?

I don't know much about the festivals on that side of the world, and I don't even know where you exactly are from, but to me Wacken is just a big metalfest like any other to me(Okay, maybe a bit better)

But Wacken is a few hours of driving from here... Graspop is just 45 minutes of driving. Holland got also a few good festivals, France got Hellfest, etc etc... (I live in Belgium).
I mean, everywhere are these kinds of festivals. I did not go to tuska because it isn't worth the extra 150€ for seeing half the bands I can see here + a few more/better.

Ever since I heard about this show I was blown away at the sheer number and variety of bands who play there yearly. When I learned Bodom was a regular fixture at this show, I became excited.
Until I learned it was in Germany.
Nothing against it, I just happen to be probably the farthest distance from there possible.

Hopefully at some point in the next few years I'll be able to take a Eurotrip and I'd like to time it with Wacken so that I can see the show.
The questions I'd like to ask are, to those that have been:
Would it be worth flying around the world to see?
What could I expect to see there? and finally,
IS IT AS AWESOME AS I DREAM IT TO BE?

well recently i traveled all the way from San Diego (california), all the way to Italy/Slovenia to go see the GOds of Metal festival, and Metal camp.. and it was one of the most fun experiences in my life.

you can expect to see a lot of naked finnish guys running around

and its so worth it to fly there

but thats just my experience with Metal Camp and Gods of Metal, Wacken was sold out this year so me and my friend didnt get the chance to see that.

Wacken is the number 1 metal festival of the world.

If you visit Graspop or any other similair festival, you will see some "non-metalheads" walking arround to see metallica/kiss or little kids that want to see bfmv/slipknot/korn/whatever. Nothing wrong with that, but some of those people are just ruining the whole atmosphere.

Wacken = 60,000 metalheads having fun and listening to metal for the full 3/4 days.

Its hard to explain but its just an experience you have to see.

Wacken is the number 1 metal festival of the world.

If you visit Graspop or any other similair festival, you will see some "non-metalheads" walking arround to see metallica/kiss or little kids that want to see bfmv/slipknot/korn/whatever. Nothing wrong with that, but some of those people are just ruining the whole atmosphere.

Wacken = 60,000 metalheads having fun and listening to metal for the full 3/4 days.

Its hard to explain but its just an experience you have to see.

hahaha, yeah yeah, but graspop wins wacken this year specially.

Wacken is the only metal festival I've ever been to, so I can't compare. But even people from Australia and South America come to Wacken every year. So they think it's worth it. And you have so many great bands playing there and the mood (also of and with the villagers) is just awesome. I can only recommand it :kickass:

hahaha, yeah yeah, but graspop wins wacken this year specially.
Not really. Carcass, kreator and CoB were bands i would really like to see. But i wanted to see KISS also, so i went to graspop ;)

But graspop is my place, all my friends go there every year. And the line-up is always good enough.

i was there! right up the front. fell over once during a crown surge, stayed there up until the song just before the umbrella jam as i was getting so crushed i couldnt actually breathe :/ my leg is still cut and bruise to fuck :p oh well was an amazing gig :p