Wal-Mart only Journey

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I think I might have to pick this one up...
I was reluctant after Jeff Scott Soto was shown the door, but this seems just too good of a package to pass up and the new singer sounds phenominal...

from Melodicrock.com

JOURNEY'S VEGAS REVELATONS:
Well, the news from Vegas is Journey's new studio album will be released in June, exclusively via WalMart stores and will be titled Revelations.
The CD will be released in a package set to include the live DVD filmed this weekend in Las Vegas. Rumors of a third disc in the package featuring the band's biggest hits re-recorded in late 2007 are still unconfirmed.
The band featured three new songs in their Vegas set - Wildest Dreams, Never Walk Away and After All These Years. You Tube clips are all over the place - check out the new tunes:
- After All These Years; - Walk Away; [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwQ-SKnl83g"]youtube.com/watch?v=hwQ-SKnl83g[/ame] - Wildest Dreams.

A full feature on the weekend shows along with pictures and reviews from a few of those gathered at the event will be online right here tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wal-Mart is bullshitting you. They don't have exclusives to any release. I'll give a few examples:
They said that about Dream Threater's last one, that they were the only one with the bonus dvd. They didn't even have the album in the 2 stores I went to!
They claimed the same on the last Rush cd as well.
I flat out hate that hick-store anyway. But, sprawl-mart is not the only store to claim exclusive rights to a music group. Best Buy lies as well.

Just curious Sixxi, are you allergic to buy online? Because you always said that you wait for the domestic release, but I just get the new Death Angel and the Benedictum one (European) at $12.50 each without S&H.

I think those are pretty good prices, am I'm missing something here?

The guy's a fantastic singer. I'd like to see them live on this tour.

Yeah, he really is a good singer, and it's an even weirder story than Tim Owens with Priest. It's one thing to hire someone from a tribute band, it's another to hire someone from a tribute band that plays bars in Asia! It could only be stranger if they gound the guy in some small town in India or something. More power to 'em all though. Too bad Steve Perry could never get over his anger.

Believe it or not but I really like Journey. I hope I will be able to get this album somewhere. I am gonna take Ramses word for it and try and track it down.

Wal-Mart is bullshitting you. They don't have exclusives to any release. I'll give a few examples:
They said that about Dream Threater's last one, that they were the only one with the bonus dvd. They didn't even have the album in the 2 stores I went to!
They claimed the same on the last Rush cd as well.
I flat out hate that hick-store anyway. But, sprawl-mart is not the only store to claim exclusive rights to a music group. Best Buy lies as well.

thats actually a statement from journey not wal-mart. if wal-mart never has exclusives tell me good sir how i can buy the new eagles album somewhere else? or the 2 garth brooks limited series boxsets? or the bonus cd for the def leppard album YEAH!? exactly they were wal mart exclusives and if you see them for sale anywhere else they are either used or 3rd party sellers online.

best buy has tons of exclusive stuff. i can you give you about 40 examples released in just the last year but it would take too long

Yeah, he really is a good singer, and it's an even weirder story than Tim Owens with Priest. It's one thing to hire someone from a tribute band, it's another to hire someone from a tribute band that plays bars in Asia! It could only be stranger if they gound the guy in some small town in India or something. More power to 'em all though. Too bad Steve Perry could never get over his anger.

Similar story to Skid Row.

thats actually a statement from journey not wal-mart. if wal-mart never has exclusives tell me good sir how i can buy the new eagles album somewhere else? or the 2 garth brooks limited series boxsets? or the bonus cd for the def leppard album YEAH!? exactly they were wal mart exclusives and if you see them for sale anywhere else they are either used or 3rd party sellers online.

best buy has tons of exclusive stuff. i can you give you about 40 examples released in just the last year but it would take too long

Right.
Also I'm not a fan of REO Speedwagon but they had a Wal-Mart Exclusive set that featured an album of new material, a live cd and a live DVD for $12.00...
What a deal for people that like that band. I think this new Journey record will be similar... And let's not forget Wla-Mart got the rights to the new Eagles album... So Wal-Mart doesn't have exclusive releases? :lol::lol:

Just curious Sixxi, are you allergic to buy online? Because you always said that you wait for the domestic release, but I just get the new Death Angel and the Benedictum one (European) at $12.50 each without S&H.

I think those are pretty good prices, am I'm missing something here?

Well, I either get stuff for free, like I was going to order the new Firewind over the weekend, but didn't then last night a review copy showed up...
I buy stuff online, like I stated I loaded up on Whitesnake, I also bought several Mr. Big cd's and other obscure hard rock discs... I like tracking down albums by hitting stores. I love going to the city and spending the day hunting through pawn shops, used music stores and finding gems. Sitting in front of your PC picking stuff up is hard for me to get used to so I do a litte of both...I think what you're referring to about domestic releases is when I made the statement about Primal Fear and Lion's Share records which came out last year in Europe, but were released in North America in January of 2008?
I waited because I knew I have contacts with the U.S. Label. I waited...Now if it's a band or bands that I follow religiously, there's no way in hell I'd wait for a doemstic release! In the case of the bands mentioned, sure I can wait... and did.

Exactly, sixxswine! I go to many independantly owned record stores, and go directly through the label that the album is on. Stores say they're exclusive to boost sales. 99% of the time, music and dvd movie releases come out on a Tuesday. Sprawl-Mart, and Best Buy may release it earlier to the public before anyone else, but you have to get up and go look for it. Why would a record label take the chance of not distributing their bands wherever a retailer will sell it, and just limit to one retailer. Like I said, they said the same exact thing about Dream Theater, and Rush. I didn't get them there, I got one at Circuit City, the other through the record label itself. I went to sprawl-mart for a friend, because he was out of town. So, I went there to get a copy of the DT album, supposedly they were the only one with the extra disc-dvd. They didn't even have it in the 2 stores I went to!

Exactly, sixxswine! I go to many independantly owned record stores, and go directly through the label that the album is on. Stores say they're exclusive to boost sales. 99% of the time, music and dvd movie releases come out on a Tuesday. Sprawl-Mart, and Best Buy may release it earlier to the public before anyone else, but you have to get up and go look for it. Why would a record label take the chance of not distributing their bands wherever a retailer will sell it, and just limit to one retailer. Like I said, they said the same exact thing about Dream Theater, and Rush. I didn't get them there, I got one at Circuit City, the other through the record label itself. I went to sprawl-mart for a friend, because he was out of town. So, I went there to get a copy of the DT album, supposedly they were the only one with the extra disc-dvd. They didn't even have it in the 2 stores I went to!

Sorry you didn't find the DT record you were looking for. Having a Wal-Mart in town and knowing staff that run the music dept. I find out in advance what they will be getting. Surprisingly they get less copies of big rock and metal releases than you'd expect... Like the Heaven And Hell CD with the exclusive they didn't get them on release date, yet I went to the next town and they carried only 12!!!! They have a number on their price tags that states how many in their shipment Q:12, ect. DT wasn't huge, not much demand for them I don't think compared to let's say the Wal-Mart exclusive High School Musical cd or something...Journey however, much like The Eagles and REO Speedwagon is owned, manufactured and distributed by Wal-Mart so this will be stocked....

more from melodicrock.com

REVELATIONS FROM JOURNEY'S LAS VEGAS WEEKEND:
As mentioned yesterday, Journey played two shows at the Planet Hollywood Theatre, Las Vegas this weekend. Below is two reviews of the event and a few pictures. In addition, a direct quote from the stage stated that the Revelations album would be a "double album" which would also include the live DVD filmed Saturday.
So, following the footsteps of the REO Speedwagon 3-Disc WalMart deal of 2007, Journey's package looks set to include the new studio album, a disc of re-recorded hits and the bonus DVD.
I'm as curious as ever to hear the new studio material - the previews from this weekend sound promising - but the idea of including the classic hits re-recorded with new vocalist Arnel Pineda in the same package is a curious move that could (in my opinion) take attention away from the new material (due to the debate that re-recording classic material is bound to attract). Interesting times these are...
As for the new songs -
After All These Years sounds like a nice typical Journey style ballad, with a leading piano line and a very tasteful guitar hook from Neal Schon.
Never Walk Away sounds like a breezy uptempo pop/rocker with a feel good hook, strong chorus and a distinct Be Good To Yourself tempo and vibe.
Wildest Dreams is another uptempo number with another strong guitar riff and a style that sounds a little like Higher Place and the Arrival album in general. Strong verse...but not sure I am convinced by the chorus at this point.
In further Journey news - the band will soon announce US tour dates set to start in early July with Heart and Cheap Trick as support.

Enough editorial...time to hand over to the reviews.
First up - Dan Clavadetscher with his personal take on Saturday night's show:

Journey / Planet Hollywood Theatre, Las Vegas, Nevada / Saturday, March 8, 8:15 – 10:26 p.m. PT
Set List: Neal Schon Solo, Any Way You Want It, Only the Young, Stone in Love, Ask the Lonely, Wheel in the Sky, Who's Crying Now, Faith in the Heartland, Lights, After All These Years (New Song), After the Fall (Deen Castronovo vocals), Never Walk Away (New Song), Jonathan Cain Solo/Open Arms, Mother/Father (Deen Castronovo vocals), Wildest Dreams (New Song) Separate Ways, Escape, Faithfully, Don't Stop Believin'.
Encore: Be Good To Yourself, Wildest Dreams (Take Two), Faithfully (Take Two), Lovin' Touchin Squeezin'.

Music, like all forms of art, is subjective. What one person finds enjoyable may be disappointing to another. The same logic holds true for concert reviews. That being said, opinions inevitably will vary regarding Arnel Pineda's United States debut before a paying audience as the new lead singer of Journey.
The Bay Area rock band, which plows through lead vocalists like Pamela Anderson goes through husbands, has experienced nearly as much drama in recent years as fellow 1980s counterparts Van Halen.
After keeping fans in the dark regarding the status of Steve Perry's replacement, Steve Augeri, for months during Journey's co-headlining tour with Def Leppard in 2006, the band hired and then unceremoniously fired singer Jeff Scott Soto, alienating a number of long-time fans in the process. Despite the lack of transparency, many of the diehards turned out for Journey Version 2008 on a windy night Saturday in Las Vegas.
The band that hit the stage with their third lead vocalist in as many years did not hold a candle to the Soto-led group that consistently blew Def Leppard off the stage during their co-headlining 2006 dates. Soto brought a new energy, magnetic stage presence and refreshing outlook to a band that had suffered through a high-profile controversy with Augeri and were in danger of having to cancel the remaining dates of a lucrative tour before Soto arrived. During the brief Soto era, Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory and Deen Castronovo were tighter as a unit and played with a renewed sense of purpose that had not been seen for years. Unfortunately, all of that was missing in Las Vegas.
Following two February shows in Chile and a corporate gig in Las Vegas two nights before the Planet Hollywood date, the new Journey led by Pineda was not tight, the songs were noticeably slowed down and many of the harder rocking tunes such as “Chain Reaction,” “Edge of the Blade” and “Keep on Runnin'” were missing from the set list. The result was an uninspired and lackluster set that had many in the sold-out crowd sitting for much of the show.
Pineda, the 40-year-old Filipino who covered Journey songs in his previous band The Zoo, did a decent job imitating Steve Perry and appears to relish his role in the group. After he finished “Lights,” Pineda announced to the crowd: “This is so exciting.” However, he has an awkward stage presence, rarely interacted with his band members, and came in early on a few songs and sang over Schon's guitar parts (see “Escape” and “Faithfully”).
After the band played six hits, including “Wheel in the Sky” and “Who's Crying Now,” Pineda mistakenly introduced a new song that he said was from the band's new album Revelations. Instead, the group played “Faith in the Heartland” from the 2005 release Generations. The mistake can possibly be explained by a change to the set list.
Following “Lights,” Cain introduced the new song “After All These Years” from their upcoming release by saying, “This is a new ballad dedicated to the fans who have been with us through the years.” Of the three new tunes performed Saturday, this was easily the strongest and went over well with the diehard fans.
Pineda, who disappeared from the stage while Castronovo took over lead vocals on “After the Fall,” returned in time to watch Schon, in a mock British accent, introduce the second new song and “Be Good to Yourself” knockoff, “Never Walk Away.” After Castronovo sang “Mother/Father,” Cain provided the crowd with information about the upcoming studio album before the band performed the hardest rocking of the new tunes, “Wildest Dreams.”
Following the encore of “Be Good to Yourself,” the concert appeared to be over after 100 minutes as the crowd of approximately 7,000 started to exit their seats and make their way up through the aisles. However, since the band was recording the show for a DVD, Journey returned and Pineda announced, “We have to do one of the new ones again because we fucked it up.” Schon and company then played “Wildest Dreams” for the second time.
After the song, the band needed to fix another tune, so Cain asked the crowd: “Would you like to hear “Faithfully” again?” After the classic ballad, the show then concluded with a subdued, bluesy version of “Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin'.”
A number of questions remain after watching Journey with Pineda. Will new fans and longtime loyalists embrace a second Perry sound alike? Was Cain's dedication of “After All These Years” genuine, or a half-hearted attempt to please the fans? Will Pineda be given the time to mature as a lead vocalist, or will he be the latest singer dropped by Cain, Schon, Valory and Castronovo? Will the band get tighter over time and return the songs to their original tempos? Will Pineda attempt to tackle some of Journey's harder rocking songs from its back catalogue? Will the new album be more of the same? Is this the last incarnation of Journey?
Those who embrace Journey Version 2008 may be happy with the group's new/old direction. However, one cannot help but wonder what a new studio album from the once-great band would have sounded like if Soto was allowed to continue his own journey. - Dan Clavadetscher

And just for good measure and to ensure complete coverage, another site regular and friend of mine e-mailed in a review also. So, over to Freddie Woods -

First off let me begin by saying this would be a night of many surprises. Being a person who has been a fan of Journey since their beginning in 1975, I saw them on their first tour here in Vegas at the International Ice Place opening for Santana. A point I would tell Ross Valory later on in the night. When I first heard that Jeff Scott Soto was no longer in Journey my heart fell to the floor. Then to hear Neal Schon had picked a guy from YouTube to be the new singer thought he had lost his mind. He has proven that his mind is as sharp as a knife.
We find our seats and notice this is not a usual "Vegas" crowd. In fact, there are a lot of Filipino's in the crowd.
The house lights go dark and the band walks onstage bathed in blue lights. Neal stands center stage ripping out a solo and then they launch into "Anyway You Want It". New lead singer Arnel Pineda is a bouncy little package of energy. I thought at first that his size would make him look strange onstage but he reminded me of young Ronnie James Dio, always in constant motion. "Only The Young" is next with no break.
Jonathan Cain comes out front on guitar and you can see that the crowd has accepted Arnel into the fold. The huge Jumbotron behind the stage shows a huge smile on Arnel's face as he says "Good Evening Vegas" and Neal starts the opening cords of "Stone In Love". Now I know this is the first shows with Arnel and the band is testing out what works and doesn't work so their choice in songs must be given a little leeway but "Faith In The Heartland" bombed big time.
The crowd, which had been on it's feet from the start sat down on this one. I'm sure 95% of the crowd had never heard this song or the CD Generations. It would be the only song from the Steve Augeri era of the night. The band grabs the crowd back with a powerful version of "Lights". Arnel is really hitting his stride now. Hitting and holding notes with room to spare.
The first surprise of the night, a new mid tempo song called "After All These Years" which Arnel dedicates to all the long time Journey fans. Drummer Deen Castronovo does a great job singing "After The Fall" but for some reason is not shown on the giant screen above him and most of the crowd is wondering "who" is singing. Another new song, a rocker entitled "Never Walk Alone" follows. Jonathan treats us to a piano solo which heads into "Open Arms" and the crowd sings every word back to Arnel.
Dean takes over lead singing with "Mother, Father" and this time he's all over the screen. Most of this crowd has no idea the fantastic voice he has and has been singing harmonies all night. The first single (I was told) "Wildest Dreams" coming from the new CD is straight out vintage Journey. All the hooks that have made Journey are in this song. If this is the direction the band is going, I like it!
The highlight of the night "Faithfully" was sung with such strong emotion by Arnel, the crowd who were singing along sometimes stopped to hear him sing. Arms waving in the air, this was the band flexing it's muscle. What you saw on Youtube could not hold a candle to him live. This guy is the real deal! "Separate Ways" thunders out followed by "Escape". "Don't Stop Believin" finishes off the set and it clear that whatever the problem was with Jeff Scott Soto, they have moved on and aren't looking back.
The crowd begs for more and the band returns to encore with "Be Good to Yourself". Arnel and boys are having "fun" now with Ross making faces at the camera's and Arnel spinning about the stage. They take their bows and the house lights come up. All in all a great show and the band has shown they have made all the right decisions.
30 seconds after the house lights come up a "announcement" comes over the PA saying the band must come back to "redo" a song for the camera's. People scramble like ants to get back to their seats and Jonathan addresses the crowd telling us that they need to redo a song for the new DVD/CD that's coming out in June titled "Revelations" and that tonights show will be the DVD.
Low and behold they redo "Faithfully" and the crowd goes nuts. If it's possible to make something better the second time around THEY DID IT! Arnel hit every note with such power and passion he had the crowd eating out of his hand. If you closed your eyes you would have sworn it was Steve Perry from the Escape tour. His voice is THAT strong. The band leaves the stage again but is called back to redo another song. This time it's the forth coming single "Wildest Dreams". Arnel ask the crowd "Do you want more?" I love this song. Then another surprise. Neal walks over to Arnel and Dean, tells them they'll play another. They start a bluesy vamp with Jonathan playing harmonica. Arnel and Neal scat back and forth for a while and then plays with the crowd a little. this morphs into "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin". At one point in the song Arnel picked out one of MANY Philippine flags and waved it on stage. The crowd went insane. It was the loudest roar of the night. This band must play Southeast Asia. I believe there will be no stadium large enough to hold them. Finally at 10:25pm the bands takes their final bows and we head upstairs for the "Meet and Greet!"
After waiting 25 minutes Jonathan is the first to walk in and greeted by applause. He is followed by Ross and then the person I have been waiting for Deen enters the room. in 1981 Deen was in a band called "The Enemy" and I was in "Little Sister". We both played the Vegas club scene and in a Battle Of The Bands on this very stage 27 years ago. His band took first place, mine took 3rd. I stopped playing drums in 1986 and became a radio DJ here in Vegas. Deen went on to play with the likes of Ted Nugent, Ozzy, Bad English and now Journey. I made my way over to him and waited my turn. When I got up to him I asked if he remembered his old band The Enemy? Now remember, I haven't seen, talked or had ANY contact with Dean in 27 years! He looked at me and said "Freddie? Freddie F**kin Woods?" My jaw dropped. My friend Mike looked like he had just hit Megabucks.
We started hugging each other and he proceeds to tell the whole room that I was one of his favorite drummers. I was in awe! This man remembered me after 27 years. Then a little voice says "Fredrick?" It was Deen's mother. Hugs were the order of the night. Deen introduced me to Ross, Jon and Arnel (who stood on a chair to take a picture with me). Neal hadn't arrived yet. We exchanged phone numbers and he promised we would hook up next time they hit Vegas (I got the tour lowdown but am sworn to secrecy). This was a night I will NEVER EVER forget. I wish I had seen the band with Jeff. I was lucky to see them 10 times with Steve Perry, 3 times with Steve Augeri and now with Arnel. My only "wish" is that they could play a few more songs. - Freddie Woods.

I waited because I knew I have contacts with the U.S. Label. I waited...Now if it's a band or bands that I follow religiously, there's no way in hell I'd wait for a doemstic release! In the case of the bands mentioned, sure I can wait... and did.

I understand now, thanks for the clarification. In here it takes too long for some titles to arrive and/or they come very expensive (you have to add S&H plus the percentage the seller wants to make). That's why I make 99,9% of my purchases online and I don't regret it. I had the new Benedictum (e.g) 7 days after its official release, pretty good IMO.

Oh and I was wrong the Death Angel copy I got is Nuclear Blast USA, but comes with a slipcase over the jewel case so i thought it was the German import.

I understand now, thanks for the clarification. In here it takes too long for some titles to arrive and/or they come very expensive (you have to add S&H plus the percentage the seller wants to make). That's why I make 99,9% of my purchases online and I don't regret it. I had the new Benedictum (e.g) 7 days after its official release, pretty good IMO.

I hear you, you're getting a great deal and if I lived in an area where metal music was not as accessible I would be doing exactly what you're talking about.

No, I found the DT album. I already had mine(with bonus dvd) that I got from Roadracer records...pre-ordered. My friend called me and asked if I'd get the DT album from wal-mart with the bonus dvd they said they only had. I NEVER buy music from that hick store. Unless you just like top 40, or compilation cds of Conway Twitty. I have 1500 albums, and not a single one come from that place. In most cases, you save money getting them from the record labels themselves.