'Wall Of Sound'

Chanakya

Orphaned Brother
Apr 6, 2008
Philadelphia
Guys, any recos for heavily multi-layered [possibly ambient] metal, i.e. utilizing a wall of sound production technique? So far, the only thing I've heard like this, is the multitude of Devin Townsend albums.

Well, I've heard all three and Black Metal wasn't really much in my mind to be honest. Summoning is probably the closest to what I had in mind. And, why would you suggest these? [genuine query] I mean, is it the usage of symphonic elements ?

Well, all those bands have released albums which contain multilayered music that surrounds the listener with a wall of sound. :p
I was posting without much forethought. Just the first three bands that came to mind.
Also, a lot of music tends to create a "wall of sound" effect if listened to with the volume turned way up. But that's not what you meant, I guess.

Thanks V5, I shall check that out.

Edit: I did so. It took me a bit to get used to, but it's quite amazing. I love the way they've incorporated those melodies and the way they've nailed that sound without overproducing it.

Any moar ?

"And Then There Was Silence" by Blind Guardian has 50 vocal tracks or something but it's not what you are looking for.

You probably know it already, but the album that comes to mind is Carcass- Heartwork; the guitars in particular are all heavily multi-tracked

"And Then There Was Silence" by Blind Guardian has 50 vocal tracks or something but it's not what you are looking for.
Well yeah I've heard that and to be honest gazillion vocal tracks is what got me interested into this thing. I really like Enya's music [as gay as that may sound]. But in this case, I meant it to be all encompassing, with greater emphasis on the instruments.

@ Metal_Wrath - I've heard Dark Sanctuary. But did you specifically mean the self-titled album?

@ CyanideChrist - Will check that out.

The band Rosetta comes to mind when I think of "wall of sound". "Wake" is pretty cool. Also, when you play both discs of Galilean Satellites at the same time, its pretty cool.

I checked out most of the recommendations. With that in mind, does anyone have any more suggestions? Particularly something along the lines of Mithras, as I really fucking loved that band.