Wanda in the Symphony tomorrow night....

spideyjg

Bass Gear Geek
Nov 14, 2005
Tomorro night our own Wanda will be back in her role as principal bassist in The South Coast Symphony. This performance
Winners of the Symphony's Annual Performance Competition
This showcase concert features winners from the county's premiere competition for young talent. This competition is open to talented young musicians from 12 to 23 in Classical, Jazz and Musical Theatre. Past winners are performing in concert halls around the world and performing on Broadway. See and hear history in the making as you experience Orange County’s Best of the Best!

A Grand Grand Overture Op.57 Malcolm Arnold
Violin Concerto No. 2 Op.22 Henri Wieiawski
II. Romance

Esther Kang, violin

Astonishing from Little Women Jason Howland & Mindy Dickstein
Gimme Gimme from Thoroughly Modern Millie Jeanine Tesori & Dick Scanlan
Stop and See Me from Weird Romance Alan Menken & David Spencer

Kendall Richardson, soprano
Symphonie Espagnole Op. 21 Edward Lalo
III. Intermezzo

Erin Dennis, violin
Intermission
Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor Op.22 Camille Saint-Saëns
I. Andante sostenuto

Xuan Amy Zhang, piano
Tziagne Maurice Ravel

Ian Wong, violin

A Change In Me from Beauty and the Beast Alan Menken & Tim Rice
How Could I Ever Know from The Secret Garden Lucy Simon & Marsha Norman
Jimmy from Thoroughly Modern Millie Jeanine Tesori & Dick Scanlan

Tayler Mettra, soprano

So if you are in the area come on out. The church where this is held has outstanding acoustics.

Jim

Tomorro night our own Wanda will be back in her role as principal bassist in The South Coast Symphony. This performance

A Grand Grand Overture Op.57 Malcolm Arnold
Violin Concerto No. 2 Op.22 Henri Wieiawski
II. Romance

Esther Kang, violin

Astonishing from Little Women Jason Howland & Mindy Dickstein
Gimme Gimme from Thoroughly Modern Millie Jeanine Tesori & Dick Scanlan
Stop and See Me from Weird Romance Alan Menken & David Spencer

Kendall Richardson, soprano
Symphonie Espagnole Op. 21 Edward Lalo
III. Intermezzo

Erin Dennis, violin
Intermission
Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor Op.22 Camille Saint-Saëns
I. Andante sostenuto

Xuan Amy Zhang, piano
Tziagne Maurice Ravel

Ian Wong, violin

A Change In Me from Beauty and the Beast Alan Menken & Tim Rice
How Could I Ever Know from The Secret Garden Lucy Simon & Marsha Norman
Jimmy from Thoroughly Modern Millie Jeanine Tesori & Dick Scanlan

Tayler Mettra, soprano

So if you are in the area come on out. The church where this is held has outstanding acoustics.

Jim

Thanks for the plug Jim! :) Sorry I've been away from the boards ~ things have been a little hectic but I should hopefully be in better shape next week. Just finished up a concert this morning for kids ~ haha - got to play the music from Sponge Bob Square Pants, Tiny Toons, Pink Panther, etc., Cartoon music can be a lot of fun and the kids looked like they really enjoyed it.

It was a good performance and for me the most outstanding of the youngsters was Xuan Amy Zhang on the piano.

Pop quiz. Why are these onstage and what clef are they written in? :lol:
SymphonyFeb001.jpg

SymphonyFeb002.jpg

Jim

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't laugh so hard, they were used in one of the pieces. The young performers came out to "play" the vacuums, the floor buffer and some brooms to use as 4 rifles with the drummer providing the "shots".

The conductor would signal the kids to turn them on and they did have sheet music for them.:loco:

Jim

Thanks for coming Jim. All the soloists were really great ~ Xuan was one of my favorites as well. I also thought Ian Wong did an exceptional job on the Ravel.

Ian's technique and that piece was amazing but I preferred the first violinist sound.

I love classical and remember we are without a classical station down here. :cry: It is all good I get to see my friend play and it is "The unstuffy symphony" after all. The San Diego symphony audience is extra stuffed. :loco: :lol:

I'm really looking forward to the next one. :kickass:

For those that missed it the next performance will be March 27th and is the Classical blockbusters some that was listed in the program are....
The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky
The Great Gate of Kiev, the finale of Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky. Please tell me they are including The Hut on Fowls legs that precedes the Great Gate Wanda? The build up at the climax of The Hut really sets up the opening of the Great Gate. :kickass:
Along with Night on Bald Mountain :headbang: :headbang: which was one of the last segments of Disney's original Fantasia a very dark disturbing piece of music. I have no idea why some progressive metal band hasn't robbed Mussorgsky of all the awesome dark riffs.

Mars from The Planets
Finlandia
The Swan from Carnival of Animals by Saint-Saens
A Tribute to John Williams.

Composers listed are in addidtion to Mussorgsky and Saint-Saens are Adams, Copland, Elgar, Grofe, Holst, Rimsky Korsakov, and Sibelius.

Can you mention to Barry that since Pictures at an Exhibition was inspired by Modest seeing his friend Viktor Alexandrovich Hartmann's paintings it would be great to have the paintings that inspired the pieces on the video during the performance if they can be obtained. The Wikpedia article Says that 5 are known but the others possibly lost. The Great Gate is there though.

Jim