War of Ages – Fire from the Tomb

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
War of Ages – Fire from the Tomb
Facedown Records – FCD061-2 – 24 July 2007
by Ryan Starr

61zaX6QwknL._AA240_.jpg

Wow! A metalcore band that doesn’t suck! The bio sheet that came with the CD described them as a mix of Hatebreed and In Flames. Immediately I was concerned. But I am pleasantly surprised by just how good this is. It does sound like a hardcore version of In Flames, but with a brisk tempo and aggressive attitude. I also hear a lot of Shadows Fall, specifically in the lead work and some of the vocals.

I do have one gripe though. The some of the breakdowns feel forced. Almost like they felt obligated to include a breakdown in every song. But overall, the breakdowns are more than just a slow drum beat and drawn out one chord rhythms. They really take advantage of the dual guitars and add some great lead work over top. Also, the breakdowns aren’t painfully slow. Often metalcore bands play breakdowns way too slow, to try and feel heavier. But War of Ages picks up the pace just a little bit, and it sounds and feels much more antagonistic. A vast improvement of this moldy oldie.

War of Ages are a cut above the rest. No wonder these guys have been around as long as they have.

Official War of Ages Myspace
Official Facedown Website

man i haven't listened to this in a while.. they're a christian band too aren't they?
i add them up with becoming the archetype and a plea for purging as christian metal bands i like