Was NICKI MINAJ's New Video Influenced By 'Metalocalypse'? DETHKLOK's BRENDON SMALL W

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj says that her controversial new video for the song "Only" was inspired in part by "Metalocalypse", the smash hit animated series on Adult Swim featuring the fictitious metal band DETHKLOK. In the clip, an animated Minaj can be seen presiding before an army of soldiers wearing red arm bands at a large rally, similar to the mass propaganda events popular during the Third Reich. In addition, black, red, white YMCMB flags that resemble the black, red and white swastika that became a symbol of Adolf Hitler's oppressive Nazi Germany are featured throughout the video. Minaj took to Twitter Tuesday morning to address the controversy, explaining that she didn't come up with the Nazi theme, and that she is "very sorry" and takes "full responsibility if it has offended anyone." "I'd never condone Nazism in my art," Minaj wrote. She added in a separate tweet that the video was inspired by "Sin City" and "Metalocalypse". "Metalocalypse" creator Brendon Small offered his thoughts on the comparison, telling Metal Insider: "They seem to be confused about art. "Our video [see below] is influenced by Russian war propaganda art, very stylized WWII satire urging people to enlist in the DETHKLOK army. The story itself is about a man enlisting (and giving his life) to become a 'klokateer,' which is a glorified roadie. When we play it live, people are pretty transfixed. "I wanted to make a video that convinced regular people to join the army (granted, one that doesn't exist) and who knows, maybe they would? "Minaj dressed people up like Nazis and held them captive by slowly speaking to them. Which, to me, is also funny. "Watching her video, I'm confused by how she's influenced by us. And, ultimately I don't care, because I really dont think she's a Nazi — but that would be a funny reveal this point in her career…"

The artist who made the lyric video for “Only” was influenced by a cartoon on Cartoon Network called "Metalocalypse" & Sin City.
— NICKI MINAJ (@NICKIMINAJ) November 11, 2014
Dear @NICKIMINAJ if you want help with your videos all you have to do is ask. (And get a bigger budget)
— Brendon Small (@_Brendonsmall) November 11, 2014

More...