Ways to kill slow time at work

Fenrir13

safe in the cornfields
You know, with spring and summer coming; at my one job it starts to get pretty slow in the recieving department; we get most of our stuff at the start, get overworked, and then sometimes have hours to kill after we cleaned, did rewraps, etc, etc...and at Relapse, nighttime tends to be kind of slow. Just curious to know(in a fun thread), what are some things done around workplaces to kill time?

A few of mine:

First off I found that driving co-workers insane(in a fun, well meaning way of course) helps knock off those hours. This I found can be accomplished by:

-Coming to work jacked to all hell on over-brewed coffee. Nothing like being able to discuss mindless things for hours on end until the crash(and said co workers breathe sigh of relief.)

-While myself and most of the Relapse crew share a love of black, death, thrash and all forms of extreme metal; I find to my amusment that they do not have my additional love of 80s metal. To put on an Annihilator or Twisted Sister CD and rock out while watching their eyes begin to spiral due to the old school whammy-bar and eyeliner saturated rockin tunes is always a good time killer. Especially when you start singing the choruses to old cock-rock songs during this time. :D I find that the best albums for this include the aformentioned two, anything from Ratt, WASP, Hanoi Rocks and Motley Crue. Since I already know the songs, 80's Metal Karaoke is that much easier. (Performing old fashioned cock rock moves like the jump off the counter into the knee-slide air guitar solo is bound to draw attention. Make a note though: Kiss, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden have too many devoted followers no matter what genre of metal they listen to; so you can't drive them as insane with them). And it's even better going right from Gorgoroth or Darkthrone to one of the aformentioned bands. (If no 80s metal is nearby; power metal works in a pinch, too. Eagleheart is guarenteed to stay lodged in their brains for the rest of the night. As I said; I am a fan of practically all things metal. :D)

And games!

-At Tower, we always have Recieving Room Frisbee Tennis. When you sit in the rolly chairs and throw a frisbee back and forth and attempt to catch it without falling out of the chair. Or before it hits one of the computers, a cup of coffee sitting next to a computer, etc; and doing this while keeping an ear out for the manager walking in. In addition; mock fights with hammers and old hanging racks work as well. Especially when the manager walks in on someone whose name I won't mention, at all, doing an axe manuever with one. :oops:

-Lunchtime drinking. Beware here. Try not to get so sloshed that you slur on the phones or if a manager talks to you. Unless THEY are the ones taking you out(one slow day they treated us, since we're a good recieving crew, to lunch and beer. 7 of us downed like 9 or 10 pitchers. Needless to say, he told us not to speak to customers.)

Of course modified darts(I find that chunks of soft cheese stick well), and other forms of tennis/soccer/football with odd objects also work.

Sooo...anyone else have suggestions/ways they kill those slow ass work days?

cock/hair metal... driving them insane in a fun, well meaning way... yeah something about that piece of reasoning doesn't click to me :p
about Priest now... \m/

free time at work... yummy! free time alone is good enough, but when you're even getting paid for goofing off then it's really cool! there's a lot of crap you can do in an office like that... try turning everything upside down and/or switching objects' places (chair on the floor <--> coffee mug on a table) and stuff like that, which will make people go "wtf??" hehe
that's cool cause you're not only being a goofball but it also has a certain degree of aesthethics and style, and a subtle logical meaning haha

cock/hair metal... driving them insane in a fun, well meaning way... yeah something about that piece of reasoning doesn't click to me :p
about Priest now... \m/

Well, I mean not driving them insane by dropping live pirahana in the toilet bowl. :D Hair metal to most hard-nosed extreme metalheads drives them up a wall. ;) Somehow I can love it all. Dunno, I guess the elitist troll gene missed me. I just dress like a troll on my webzine. :p

And yes, I think re-arranging stuff can also work. One day we want to get our record sales manager somehow. we don't know what he'd do tho. and yeah, sometimes just reading the paper/magazines is fun, too...

i'm not exactly an extreme metaller and hair metal drives me up and through walls, so you can imagine hehe
actually i can't stand anything even remotely related to 80's pop... for some reason i'm like scarred by that awful whiplash drum machine sound, those echoey bland guitar tones and those horribly inflamated keyboard melodies... but oh well i'm being as subjective as it gets here anyway hehe

hehe one time in high school we pulled a really funny stunt...
we were in this classroom that had windows facing a corridor, with curtains and all
and we were in this halfassed boring class with this half interested teacher which was doing some paperwork or whatever at her desk
so we dropped down the curtains, turned off the lights (it's barely noticeable inside the room cause there's windows facing outside so there's still light, but somehow it is noticeable from the corridor) and hanged a sign in the door that said "be back in 5 minutes" HAHAHA

we were still laughing our asses off and then some teacher went by the corridor, saw the sign and stopped in her tracks.... lol the look in her face was priceless haha i tell you, we laughed for a really long while that morning
equally funny was watching the teacher trying to act normal as she explained to the principal what the class was assigned to doing haha

hehe!! We never pulled that one; we've pulled some good ones on teachers but never did that one before. :D You even had the poor teacher explaining stuff to the principal.

And as for 80s pop; don't worry, i'd never torture anyone with Flock of Seagulls or Wham. THAT is just too cruel for words. Twisted Sister-Good. The Hooters-Scary. :D

here are some more wyas to have some fun at work/office

When two (ore more) people are working a desks that are put next to each other, switch their telephone cords. With all those cables lying around it will take some time before they find that one out!
Put a peice of onion or a clove of garlic inside the mouthpiece of a phone. Give it some time for it to fester and build up a strong odor. Then call them and keep them on the phone for as long as possible.

It is allways a good habit to lock your computer before heading off for coffee or a smoke. When someone forgets and leaves a Word document or an email open, type a single word somewhere in the text. “f*ck” or so will do nicely. They’ll never notice and send it out.

Get a hold of someone's cell phone and change the greeting banner to say "NO SERVICE". Many cell phones have greeting banners on them that you can personalize to say whatever you want them to and it stays on there when you're not using your phone. Also, when there is no service where you are, most cell phone companies have a banner that pops up on your screen saying "no service".

Take a can of non gel shaving cream, and put it in a freezer. When it is frozen remove the bottom of the can and put it in co worker's drawer. When it melts it expands and explodes all over everything.

Go into MS Word or similar program on co-worker's computer, and add an entry to the AutoCorrect feature. This is a very simple prank that will send the novice user into a frenzy. Configure the AutoCorrect option to replace the word "the" with the phrase "you suck!". They will usually panick and start scanning for viruses.

Take clear tape and tape the underside of the mouse. Make sure you take the sticky end of the tape and apply it to the bottom of the mouse so it locks the ball in place. The victim will most likely check the connections in the back, reinstall drivers, reboot, etc., before they realize what has happened.

Do a "Print Screen" of the user's desktop, and then paste the image from the clipboard to a photo program, and save the image as a bitmap. Then, set the 'snapshot' of their desktop as the actual desktop wallpaper. (You'll have to hide the Windows status bar, and move all their desktop icons into a folder, which you can hide conspicuously in the corner or something.) The user will see their desktop as always, but everything on it will appear to be frozen when they try to click on it...sending them into a rebooting and virus scanning fit!

This will mostly only work with people with very little PC knowledge. Stick in a floppy in there floppy drive. They will be unable to boot up windows until the disk is out. This is fun to watch.

Try to find a very obnoxious CD laying around. Preferably a reggae or rap CD. Pop it in their CD ROM. Put up the sound full blast by double clicking on the volume control on the bottom right. On normal configurations the audio CD will autoplay when windows first starts up. The person starting up there PC in the morning will definitely be embarrassed.

This is for that special person you just cant stand in the office, the one who talks on the phone all day with their boyfriend/girlfriend and gets personal e-mail all day. Go into their e-mail and change their defaults to autmatically "blind carbon copy" their boss or supervisor. Heads will roll!

Change the coffee in the office coffe maker to decafe. Wait about three weeks(or untill you think everybody has gotten over their caffine addiction)and switch to expresso!

Try "password securing" someone's screen saver. First I suggest changing the screen saver to "scrolling marque" and inserting your own word or phrase, "Mr. Jones (president or supervisor) eats SHlT" or something to that effect.

With someone who is on the phone a lot during work - This works if you have phones that the handset comes apart. Take the handset apart and put scotch tape over the mouthpeice inside. They can still be heard, but they have to talk loud to be heard. The next day take it off, and put it in the earpeice. Usually they will be yelling to the other person on the line the next day, and won't be able to hear them. When they complain about the phone, and get a replacement, do it on the next phone. After about a week you will notice the calls to be down considerably.

Depending where you are at you may have a cafeteria in you place of work. Every week most of them put out a menu so you know what they are serving. Usually it is done on Word or Excel, and not extremely fancy. With a little work, matching fonts, and images you can make your own menus, and post them by your desk. We had one co-worker avoid the cafeteria for 2 weeks because of the selection "fish head stew" etc... before he caught on. Works great with picky eaters.

My absolutely most favorite prank I have saved for last. It is so simple to do and yields such nice results. Simply pop out the 'm' and 'n' key on someone's keyboard and reverse the two. Any flat tool will work. Just pry it with little pressure and they will easily come right off. Then just sit back and watch the confusion.

hehe the fuck in the word document, auto correction and the screensaver one sound like great fun... gotta remember these things, you never know when you'll get the chance heheh