Week In The Abyss

HUNGER OF THE UNDEAD

BRINGER OF TORTURE
May 20, 2002
Rhode Island, USA
Visit site
13 years ago this very week Slayer took to the East coast (imagine that?) to try out some new songs from the then forthcoming album Seasons in the Abyss.
These were warm up shows prior to heading off for the European Clash of the Titans tour.

dates and setlist were as follows:

9/7 Poughkeepsie
9/8 Bayshore
9/9 Philadelphia
9/10 Baltimore
9/11 New Haven
9/12 Boston
9/13 Providence (front row center mutha fucka!):loco:
9/14 Brookyln

Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
War Ensemble
Blood Red
Dead Skin Mask
Born of Fire
Postmortem
Skeletons of Society
Die By the Sword
Seasons in the Abyss
Spirit in Black
Mandatory Suicide
Expendable Youth
At Dawn The Sleep
Live Undead
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
Angel of Death

Anyone else catch any of these shows? You can hear me yell "At Dawn they Sleep!" on the bootleg right before they played it. Must have been intuition, as I had no clue it was even on the set list!

HUNGER OF THE UNDEAD said:
Well shit man, I KNEW your ass would have been there if you were close enough to one of those shows!!:headbang:

I just thought maybe there might be more old East Coast fuckers on here:Smokedev:

If I was close enough I woulda been, I don't miss Slayer to much, seen Um........alot of times & tours........used to see them in LA at a place called Radio City, back when they wore makeup & spikes, before they even had a record, they would open for bands like, Bitch, Odin, Tryant, August Redmoon, (LA was not just glam scene) they used to be so sloopy, distorted, & really deserved to be in the opening slots back then, they've came along way, since the early '80's........

East Side of Providence.... i'm a youngin at a wee age of 15 and a half so i guess i'm not really an old schooler, but i'm definitely a fan of the old slayer (can't really stand post seasons in the abyss stuff, though)... and no i am not going to M.O.D.

When they played that show... I was singing in a Christian folk choir not that far from Rhode Island if it'll make you feel any better...

Well, the other reply pretty much translated to "I was 2 at the time of that concert." So, I was letting you know that you weren't THAT old.

xoxoxo
-k-

p.s. On this forum, I can kid around so I do to some extent. Some, I need to watch myself as doing so would likely alienate potential customers.

13 years ago this very week Slayer took to the East coast (imagine that?) to try out some new songs from the then forthcoming album Seasons in the Abyss.
These were warm up shows prior to heading off for the European Clash of the Titans tour.

dates and setlist were as follows:

9/7 Poughkeepsie
9/8 Bayshore
9/9 Philadelphia
9/10 Baltimore
9/11 New Haven
9/12 Boston
9/13 Providence (front row center mutha fucka!):loco:
9/14 Brookyln

Raining Blood
Black Magic
South of Heaven
War Ensemble
Blood Red
Dead Skin Mask
Born of Fire
Postmortem
Skeletons of Society
Die By the Sword
Seasons in the Abyss
Spirit in Black
Mandatory Suicide
Expendable Youth
At Dawn The Sleep
Live Undead
Altar of Sacrifice
Jesus Saves
Angel of Death

Anyone else catch any of these shows? You can hear me yell "At Dawn they Sleep!" on the bootleg right before they played it. Must have been intuition, as I had no clue it was even on the set list!

I caught that show twice on the west coast...and I loved every minute of it!! Slayer own live! 'Specially back then!! Seasons is my favorite cd by them...I love "Close your eyes look deep in your soul step outside yourself..." AND one of my fave all time lines in a song ever...hence my screen name..."In the depths of a MindInsane, Fantasy and reality ARE THE SAAAAAAAMMMEE!!!"

The first time I caught them live was during the South of Heaven tour with Judas Priest..that was pretty damn killer too!!

Hey MindInsane you didnt catch this show on the west coast because they only played 8 EAST coast dates on that "A WEEK IN THE ABYSS" tour. Thats why they called it "A WEEK" in the Abyss. It was as I said a mini warm up tour for them to try the brand new material from the then forthcoming Seasons album. I think you meant you saw the Seasons in the Abyss tour in early 1991 correct?

The setlist was a bit different, nothing at all from Hell Awaits, no Live Undead and no Altar or Jesus either.

Who opened for them out there? We had TestAmenT here and TestAmenT DESTROYED Slayer!!!! They came out and total'y raged and thrashed!! Slayer followed up with a weak setlist and plodded through the dull Seasons album. TestAmenT sooo owned Slayer on that tour!!!!

Hmm, I wonder why Slayer hasnt had brought a legitimate thrash band as an opener since? Hahahaha!

Hey MindInsane you didnt catch this show on the west coast because they only played 8 EAST coast dates on that "A WEEK IN THE ABYSS" tour. Thats why they called it "A WEEK" in the Abyss. It was as I said a mini warm up tour for them to try the brand new material from the then forthcoming Seasons album. I think you meant you saw the Seasons in the Abyss tour in early 1991 correct?

The setlist was a bit different, nothing at all from Hell Awaits, no Live Undead and no Altar or Jesus either.

Who opened for them out there? We had TestAmenT here and TestAmenT DESTROYED Slayer!!!! They came out and total'y raged and thrashed!! Slayer followed up with a weak setlist and plodded through the dull Seasons album. TestAmenT sooo owned Slayer on that tour!!!!

Hmm, I wonder why Slayer hasnt had brought a legitimate thrash band as an opener since? Hahahaha!

I stand corrected....:Smug:

I saw them with Testament as well...and both bands were equally as good...I don't know how any Slayer fan could find Seasons "boring" it's a wonderfully written album with some really powerful songs on it...but whatever..to each is own..

Slayer is one of the best live bands out there..they've been great every time I've seen them (up until the last time I saw them with Bostaph..and I think I've talked about this before on here) Since they've gotten Dave back they sound like their old selves.. the old Slayer chemistry that's been missing for a couple of years is back and better than ever!

I stand corrected

No biggie, I just wanted to clarify.

I guess Testament did that whole tour in early 91!

Here they clearly blew Slayer away because Testament came out with Eerie Inhabitants and then Raging Waters, 2 songs they hadnt played live out here in a couple of years. Their set contained NO ballads and they thrashed from the time they hit stage until the time they left. They knew they were up against the allmighty Slayer and they had to prove they were just as good and that night in Boston they were better! It was one of the best Testament shows Ive ever seen.

When Slayer came out they as I said, lazily plodded through 8 of 10 songs from Seasons. They seemed to have no enthusiasm and they played NOTHING from Hell Awaits and just 1 song from Show No Mercy. It was pretty bad and to this day one of the worst Slayer shows Ive seen. I guess after Testament was so crushing you just expected Slayer to be as good or better and they werent. Luckily on the Clash tour that coming summer Slayer redeemed themselves!

As fas as Seasons goes as an album. For me aside from War Ensemble, Spirit in Black, Hallowed Point and Born of Fire the album is boring, weak and repetitive. Songs like blood red, expendable youth, seasons, dead skin mask and skeletons of society just drone on and on and on, and expendable and skeletons sound exactly alike. Temptation is just plain awful.

Like you said, to each his own. I am in the minority on my views of SITA, but Ive always felt that way about that record. I also think that Divine Intervention is a great and very underrated record by both the band and the fans. I cant understand why the refuse to play any of those songs live anymore.