what about mexico??

1.Welcome to Mexico City
2.Be careful with the criminality (dangerous city)
3.Do not be surprised by the dirtiness of the city
4.Iberoamericana school is for rich people, so you will frequent nice places with your new friends
5.Metal scene is small
6.There is a place named "Circo Volador", where national and international rock and metal bands play.

hey Didge, I attend the Iberoamericana University. But tell me.. are you going to Mexico City or where in Mexico??? Even it's a rich school, you can find people who like metal. For example, I play in a Metal Band, it's called Doomsday. You can check it out at www.doomsday.s5.com

Mexico City ot's only dangerous if you seem weak or possess something quite valuable. Criminals have little time and are less likely to attack anyone who...
1.- Wears no valuables or fancy-looking stuff.
2.- Acts like if he/her knew the city or at least where is she/he going (walking straight and looking always to the front).
3.- Seems prepared to defend him/herself.

And welcome. The scene is little, but there are concerts here and there. El Chopo (located very close to Buenavista subway station, aka Metro) is a great place to learn more about the scene, concerts, get merchandise, know people that are in the scene and buy tickets.

I recently spent two weeks in Mexico City. That place is great. I stayed right near the square in the Centro Historico. I went out there most nights to see the Aztec dances. This was so different from the United States. In the US, the Native Americans are pushed to the edge of history... a part of a shameful, but irrelevant past. In Mexico, they hold temple in the religious and political center. This was so cool to see. There were two different dances within a block and they were not some sort of tourist trap; they were what these kids did at night. They did rituals with an altar and incense and blew shells in the four directions. It was great.

My hotel was right next to a bar that had live music Thursday through Saturday. I heard a bunch of interesting music from that place: a couple of nights of jazz, a couple of nights of techno, one night of reggae dub from Jamaica, and a hip hop night. The hip hop night had a guitarist that clearly was not really part of the band. He (I assume it was a guy) was trying to mix some sort of heavy metal sound to the mix. He tried to play some small and funky licks as compliment, but you could feel the beast trying to escape. He eventually stopped trying to fit in and started to show up the rappers. They clearly thought he was a dick, but I understood.

That guy needs a metal scene.

I was only there for a couple of weeks and I didn’t talk much, but I found no metal. I saw a bunch of folk music, though, and saw a band that I would call alternative with a really odd and interesting woman in front singing and playing guitar.

The whistles! There’s no way I can describe the whistles. The traffic is tremendous to say the least and one day, a guy was driving through one of the thick parts and he laid on the horn for about 5-10 seconds. I started to chuckle and looked toward the store side of the sidewalk. A guy looked thrilled at the opportunity to whistle so loudly. The whole street lit up with whistles right with him. The whistles were so loud, they drown out the horn.

For the mugging stuff mentioned above... Agreed: look like you are not a target. That doesn’t mean you have to walk around scowling at everyone. Just look like you’ve been where you are before and know exactly where you are. I saw some people talking on cell phones looking at maps with sandals and hawaiian shirts... I was tempted to mug these fuckers just to make a point.

There’s so much more to tell, but I can’t tell it all. Thank you so much Mexico. See ya soon. :)