What an Asshole

is it possible for Dave Mustaine to even offer something like a eulogy without talking about how great HE is?

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth (about the death of Dimebag)

I knew him by wanting to play with him. We had Pantera open for Megadeth in the U.S. and in Europe. When you get to the level of guitar playing that I'm at and that he was at, the air is pretty thin up there . . . Darrell was a really gentle spirit and pretty easygoing guy. Society is looking at this and saying, "This is heavy metal." That's not heavy metal, that's a random act.

hahaha, how toolish. I was quite touched with the other crap he said concerning Dimebag though.

Did you expect anything else? I really dont mind these comments, he is a great guitarist, and being so gifted, his ego is somehow to me expected and justified.

No i agree, he is a huge narcissist. If you ever read his interviews he eventually will take credit for like creation of metal. So, I think he went off the deep end a while ago, perhaps his egomaniacal attitude has something to do with his upbringing, and then the conversion to Christianity?

Yeah he feels the need for constant positive reaffirmation of himself and his talents, as he never had such support as a child. Thus, he talks about his greatness and accomplishments all the time. i think it is defintely a coping mechanism- it used to be drugs, now that he can think coherently, he must spend every waking minute needing to feel important.

My brother is a huge fan, whenever he comes back home or whatever, I see all this megadeth/Mustaine crap. Hes like a walking dictionary on Dave Mustaine. He even has long red hair.

I totally agree on the Shaffer comparison, but Shaffer wasnt abandoned by his parents- he abandoned them. He's like a white trash version of Mustaine. Shaffer also isnt anywhere near the guitarist, or as famous as Mustaine, so his ego is not as substantiated as Mustaines, in my opinion.

You notice how both of them have alienated everyone they have ever worked with? They have like a revolving door of band members, and dictatorial control over their bands.

Yeah, but Yngwie is a lot more chilled out than Mustaine. Less baggage.

Also, I think Yngwie purposely changes his line ups - nobody joins his band thinking there in it for life sort of thing...

I think we have to accept the fact that there are certain musicians who rule the band and therefore allowed an ego. Mustaine has 'foot in mouth' disease, but his heart is in the right place. The fact is, he is a phenomenal guitarist, whether you like his music or not.

I thought Mustaine's words were, at time, poorly chosen. However, I give him some slack, since I thought he was speaking both from the heart and off the top of his head. Whenever you do that, you risk coming across poorly.

As for his ego, I don't mind it. I much prefer that musicians, or for that matter, any entertainer or athlete, speak about their talents in realistic terms. Let's face it, when you're good, you know you're good. I find it rather insulting when people hide behind false humility.

Zod