What are diatonic sequences

A diatonic sequence can be any scale with non-chromatic intervals, so, major, minor, pentatonic etc are all diatonic as is any other scale except straight chromatic (I think)

-Sacha

Intervals are what you call it when you put 2 notes together. Let's start with your open E on the guitar and I'll show you what note to combine to make an interval.

E and E (exact same note)= perfect first interval.
E and F (half a step up)= minor second interval.
E and F#= major second interval.
E and G= minor third interval.
E and G#= major third interval.
E and A (like open 5th string) = minor fourth interval.
E and A#= major fourth interval.

You can figure out the rest simply by counting. It is usually better to figure out intervals on the piano, but I happened to memorize them on the guitar. Anyway, they are good for figuring out harmonies and such. Don't feel bad about not knowing it. I happen to be the only student in my school who knows about intervals and it makes the upperclassmen livid with rage to see a freshman out do them.:lol:

Originally posted by Ibsen
Intervals are what you call it when you put 2 notes together. Let's start with your open E on the guitar and I'll show you what note to combine to make an interval.

E and E (exact same note)= perfect first interval.
E and F (half a step up)= minor second interval.
E and F#= major second interval.
E and G= minor third interval.
E and G#= major third interval.
E and A (like open 5th string) = minor fourth interval.
E and A#= major fourth interval.

You can figure out the rest simply by counting. It is usually better to figure out intervals on the piano, but I happened to memorize them on the guitar. Anyway, they are good for figuring out harmonies and such. Don't feel bad about not knowing it. I happen to be the only student in my school who knows about intervals and it makes the upperclassmen livid with rage to see a freshman out do them.:lol:

well don't get so cocky because you don't know intervals to well at all. Intervals are the basics of theory. Fourths are not major or minor intervals they are considered "perfect"
Same thing with fifths also. The Chromatic Scale contains 12 notes and most diatonic diatonic scales contain 7.

Interval is the distance between 2 notes.
These are ALL the intervals and a chromatic scale.
In say a major or minor scale you would basically just use some of these intervals.
S=step and HS= Half step (basically one fret higher on the guitar)

Any Note Unison
1 HS higher minor 2nd
2 " " Major 2nd
3 " " minor 3rd
4 " " Major 3rd
5 " " PERFECT 4th
6 " " tritone ("The Devil's Interval")
7 " " PEREFECT 5th 8 " " minor 6th
9 " " Major 6th
10 " " minor 7th 11 " " Major 7th
12 " " Octave ( same as the first note)

Ya I knew I was wrong somewhere. I shall accept my error. Thank you for correcting me by the way.

Originally posted by SADUDE

Any Note Unison
1 HS higher minor 2nd
2 " " Major 2nd
3 " " minor 3rd
4 " " Major 3rd
5 " " PERFECT 4th
6 " " tritone ("The Devil's Interval")
7 " " PEREFECT 5th 8 " " minor 6th
9 " " Major 6th
10 " " minor 7th 11 " " Major 7th
12 " " Octave ( same as the first note)

These are the simplest names for them. 6 half-steps is also called "diminished 5th" or "augmented 4th".

You may also find 9th, 11th and 13th intervals being mentioned; these are 2nd, 4th and 6th intervals plus an octave.

All the intervals have different possible names. You will rarely see them unless discussing exotic music with hardcore theory heads (or in exams), but for future reference:

- Major intervals become minor whan shortened by one half-step; diminished when shortened by two HS; and augmented when lengthened by one HS.

- Perfect intervals (including unison and octave) become diminished when shortened by 1 HS; and augmented when lengthened by 1 HS.

I'm decent with my theory, and see things a bit differently, but I'm still delving into the learning...

Interesting reading.... Thanks guys!