What are YOUR fav Opeth tunes?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Chances are, this question will elicit answers that span the entire spectrum of Opeth albums (and that's a good thing!), but, if I really had to choose, I'd say that my very favorite Opeth songs are:

1) "The Drapery Falls" - in my view, this song is probably 3 times as good as their next best song. I feel that it is their "high-water mark", in that the emotion that if conveys is overwhelming - and for me, emotion is what, ultimately, gives music it's value.

2) "Karma" - this is almost "evil" in it's haunting nature! The last 2 minutes are to die for.

3) "Dirge for November" - from start to finish, a true masterpiece. The guitar parts that begin at around 2:30 into the song are my single FAV Opeth "moments"

4) "Black Rose Immortal" - It's amazing how a 20+ minute song feels only like about 10 minutes - every "part" of the song is beautiful!!

5) "While Cluster" - Wow! A great ending to a great album !!!!

WHEN "graven face, she said my naaaammee", "...and i criieeedd" nuff said.

The Leper Affinity (4:06 and the soon following 4:47) "lost are days of spring you sighted and let me in"

The Night & The Silent Water "you... sleep... in... the... night... yet... the... night... and... the... silent... water.. still... so daaaarrrkk" (that whole song is a masterpiece)

Patterns In The Ivy II (2:48 and the harmonized guitar parts to the end... this just recently grew on me)

To Bid You Farewell (no explanation needed)

Bleak
To Bid You Farewell
The Night and Silent Water
Under the Weeping Moon
The Apostle in Triumph
Demon of the Fall
April Ethereal
The Moor
Face of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death
Blackwater Park
Drapery Falls
A Fair Judgement
By the Pain I See in Others

When
April Ethereal
Bleak
Deliverance
Night & The Silent Water
The Apostle In Triumph
The Moor
Under The Weeping Moon
Blackwater Park
To Bid You Farewell
A Fair Judgement

Originally posted by SoundMaster
3) "Dirge for November" - from start to finish, a true masterpiece. The guitar parts that begin at around 2:30 into the song are my single FAV Opeth "moments"

I second that completely. Finally, someone who appreciates the hypnotic beauty of that part. Orgasmic. Now, as for my rankings...

[1]: The Twilight is My Robe - This was the first Opeth song I ever heard, and to this day it has remained my favorite. From the solos in the end, to the awe-inspiring section around two-three minutes into the song, this baby has it all. Words can't even begin to do this song justice.

[2]: Serenity Painted Death - In recent years, this song has almost overthrown TTiMR, but I just can't see that ever happening. This song has, in my opinion, the greatest Opeth intro of all time, as well as the greatest Opeth solo of all time. Every time I hear that solo, gooseflesh pops up all over my arms and I start to twitch. Well, maybe not twitch, but the gooseflesh still comes even after three years.

[3]: Dirge for November - As was stated by SoundMaster, at around 2:30, this beautiful, seizure-inducing part comes along, sucking the marrow out of your bones. The dual guitars, the steady, deliberate double bass, and Mikael's sickest growls [pre-Deliverance] all come together to create something that transcends music.

[4]: Karma - I love how the opening riff just bludgeons you to death until the sweeping verse comes in. The best part of this song has to be the acoustic breakdown: amazing.

[5]: Bleak - There's not really too much to say about this one. Songs this catchy should not be legal. Steve Wilson's vocals are so soft and smooth [sounds like a hair commercial, no?]. They almost seem like aural silk. Also, this happens to be one of the songs with my favorite set of lyrics.

[6]: The Moor - Killer intro that is second only to Serenity. This is the best album-opening song that Opeth have produced yet. I love the way that all the parts in the intro come together and culminate with Mike's multi-layered growl/scream-- you know you're in for some bad shit. The dual guitar breakdown about halfway through the song is beautiful.

[7]: The Face of Melinda - Can you tell that Still Life is my favorite album? Beautiful acoustic work that segues into the most emotional electric guitar work on the album. Rhyming couplet lyrics-- gotta love it.

[8]: White Cluster - This song seems so basic and primal to me. During the verses, there is a simplicity that seems so powerful. Another song with amazing lyrics. And can we forget about the music dropping away to the lone acoustic guitar, only to be slammed with brutal guitars? I think not.

[9]: Demon of the Fall - Pre-Deliverance, this was as hard as they came. This is the third Opeth song I ever heard, and I'll never forget the feeling that I had when the verse kicked in-- you know, the seems otherworldly in its ability to capture your attention. Brilliant song.

[10]: Forest of October - The second Opeth song to grace my ears. The intro is beautiful, the acoustic work amazing, and the solos are spectacular, as demonstrated by our friend Bumblefoot a few threads over ;) A few other songs came close to taking this spot over the years, but the old school hangs tough.

Honorable mentions: When, To Bid You Farewell, Credence, Advent, The Drapery Falls, Patterns in the Ivy II

I didn't list any Deliverance songs here, because I feel as though I haven't given them proper attention just yet. Once the actual CD comes out, I'm sure I'll devote more time, for I can already see A Fair Judgment, Deliverance, and Master's Apprentices fighting for position on this list.

I can't really rank em...picked off the top of my head

*I probably picked the first three subconsciously cause these are the only ones I know all the way through on guitar....

-Drapery Falls
1st song I ever heard by Opeth (that I knew was actually Opeth). Thought the acoustic parts were catchy, got my face blown off by the middle part Vocals ("There is failure inside...") and by the time it got to the 5/8 riffs after "Pouring a caress on your shoul-dahhhhhhhh!!!!!!" I was fuckin' hooked!

-April Ethereal
Love that ending...

-Forest of October
Didn't really appreciate this one until reading about Mike picking this one as a favorite. Love that last solo of Mike's...

-Godhead's Lament/Master's Apprentices
These are some fucking heavy fuckers, and I love 8th note triplets on kick pedals, which are featured in both of these songs...the ending of Godhead's is fucking ridiculous, I really like those Beach Boys vocal in Master's.

-Night and the Silent Water
This song would be absolutely perfect if they had recorded the drums better. That drum sound doesn't do the last heavy part of the song justice.

-White Cluster
I really just started to like this one, great finisher...

-Leper Affinity
Ridiculous Guitar work throughout this song, I wonder how many overdubs there are total...love the piano at the end

-A Fair Judgement
I love how this song goes back and forth between jazzy and heavy, I really like how that one guitar in the middle sounds almost like a harpsichord. The outro is fucking great.

Is that enough? I really could go on and on here....

Originally posted by Metalmaster
I don't understand why so many people like "The Drapery Falls". That song is so...blabla.

I really agree with you on that, i also dont see why so many people like that song, and the same with demon of the fall. That song isnt that heavy or something and a bit boring ...

My favs:

All of morningrise and orchid and still life :)
And the song blackwater park

Originally posted by Pietjuh
I really agree with you on that, i also dont see why so many people like that song, and the same with demon of the fall. That song isnt that heavy or something and a bit boring ...

'tis the great thing about Opeth (& music in general). In my view, "Drapery" & "Demon" are among their best - whereas, I find some of the cuts from "Orchid" & "Morningrise" to border on "boring" (relatively speaking; they're still better than many other bands).

Originally posted by Gadlor
Weaker, for ripping on his/her choice. :rolleyes:

I wasn't necessarily ripping your choice, my friend. I find Silhouette to be a beautiful song, too, but it's a song that could be found on a lot of other metal albiums, not to mention any other Opeth album. I just thought that you would pick something that more embodies Opeth... something that the actual band was involved in creating. [shrugs]