What are your tips for recording a POD?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
I'm getting the metal pack sometime soon (hopefully) for my POD xt, but either way, I can't seem to get a tone that doesn't sound too digital or fizzy or muffled or something... so I'd like to know what you guys do to record your pods... I've heard AWESOME recordings using mainly the BigBottom model, but I'm sur I could get a useable tone outta the Treadplate Dual or some other stock model while I get the Metal Pack... so... please shoot me some tips or suggestions or something! Lo-Pass? Hi-Pass?

i have the same question, even with impulses i can't find a real good sound out of my podxt.

The best songs I've heard made with a PodXT mix 2 different amp models......

And use impulses....

thanks guys! but um... what are 'impulses'? anyone care to link me/explain, please? :)

its pretty much using a kind of reverb to simulate a room. but in the case of guitar we are using it to simulate a miced cab.

One tip with the podxt the metal pack is where the tones are. The 5150 model "Criminal" is good, so is the Triple rec Model "Diamondplate". most tones that are sounding good for me is all the nobs real close to 2/3s the way up except gain this seems to make the models sound closest to a good tone from the real version of that amp.

another thing that im doing is setting a basic tone with the pod say the diamondplate model with the above setings, then using a eq plugin to shape the tone more as i find the tone controls on the pod really sensitive to each other. I find the mid nob not only adds more mids but also more gain and presence. which inst always the case with the real amps, I have owned 5150 and a single rec and have never had that problem.

one more thing... alot of people use the tube screamer model but i think its really makes it to nasally. at least with emg pickups so use it sparingly

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask I have been tweaking the xt for almost 3 years now.

thanks a bunch, alan! that was real helpful

yeah, I think I'm gonna go for the metal pack, then, I seem to be getting all sorts of good opinions on it :)

could you elaborate a bit more on the Screamer, tho? what settings do you like on it? or do you prefer your tone without it? With the stock amp models, I'm currently using the Treadplate Dual model now boosted with the screamer, but my latest recording came off a bit too fizzy and gainy, that's been my problem, really, since I'm more of a mid-boosted tone kinda guy, and so far, haven't been able to find a tone that has the mids and the bass I usually like in my tone...

you think? I'll try that... but as far as re-amping goes, wouldn't it be better to do everything inside of the POD?

BTW, this is my recorded tone right now, in case you want to hear it... no bass in there yet, but anyway, I think I might've abused the low on the EQ a bit too much... and I know the drums sound weird in the double-kick parts, I'll get to work on that too

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6105387

can anyone post clips to compare the amps with the tubescreamer in the pod and the real tubescreamer?

The stock models can sound really good with the proper eq , the ones on the metal pack are less fizzy , and the bass is more controlled making the task of getting high gain tones a lot more easier , but is just a matter of picking the right freq to cut and boost i think.

Where is that 5150 curve eq patch you talk DSS3? the tones you get are preety chunky .

I´m still trying to get a kick ass tone with PODxt (actually Gearbox) without impulses. The real TubeScreamer (TS7) is helping a lot, that´s for sure.

I´m still trying to get a kick ass tone with PODxt (actually Gearbox) without impulses. The real TubeScreamer (TS7) is helping a lot, that´s for sure.

the mesa cab with the 57, and the v30 cab with the 421 are about as close as i could get with the stock cab sims. impulses turn alot of people off at first because it is somthing new to learn, your tones need to be eq'd diffrent to sound right with impulsies. as the line 6 ones may not just be simulating aa cab they may also cut alot of bass and boost mids for example as well as making it sound like a cab.

i dont have a tubescreamer but i do have a badmonkey that im curious to try in front of the mesa model.