what band/players sound do u like alot

bleed for me

Sep 9, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
for me i'd say:

the guitars on katatonia's "last fair deal gone down" and "tonights music"

dimebag darrells guitar sounds amazing, especially on cemetery gates when he uses the whammy pedal with pinch harmonics

martin farfalla's bass on morningrise and martin mendez's slapping and popping on "blackwater park"(title track)

dino cazares of fear factory (the double pedal play's a big part in his tone)

stephan carpenters guitars on deftones' "the white pony"

I love the bass sound on Nectar, especially with the slapping and popping at the end its fucking great.

I like Hammets solo on Fade to Black, its his own style and sound.

I like the sound of both Atheist bassists, incredibly talented.

Cryptopsys solos are fucked, but they sound great because of their originality.

Gene Hoglan and Pete Sandovals drumming are quite unique and pretty fucking amazing.

The production on Still Life is almost perfect. It amazes me each time I listen to it, especially guitar wise.

!us nioj

For me definately the guitar sound of John Petrucci (DreamTheater) Dimebags sound on Vulgar and Far are awesopme too indeed. I am into 7 string playing, allows you to go deep while still soloing high. Opeth's acoustic sound is incredible, Chuck's guitar on Symbolic (Death) 's cool too. I can go on for ages. I just like bands who can combine a lot of instruments and don't make it sound muddy (ex. Pain of Salvation) but I also dig the opposite, make a wall of noise with just three instruments!! :headbang:

I like Chuck Schuldiner guitar sound. I mean its just straight of of the marshall and b.c. rich with little processing to it...sounds great in both studio and live situation....On bass....i gotta go with sean malone and his fretless...i love freetless bass...Drums i like Flo Mourniers song overall...

Originally posted by godisanathiest

The double bass on linchpin is amazing- so sharp! It couldn't be better if someone programmed it :D

i think you'll find it was programmed :p

anyway i like the beginning of zero by the pumpkins. and thorns, the beginning riff of world playground decet (sp?) because im using it in my media film :D

Ah, cool thread.

In terms of electric guitar sound, I'm a big fan of that old 80's metal sound, often termed the "Marshall" sound. Think Iron Maiden, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Ratt, early Dio, Skid Row, etc. Yeah, I know some of those bands are kinda cheesy, but hey, I like the sound and they were great guitarists.

The 80's metal sound isn't all I like though.
Here's some others:

Dream Theater's Images and Words and Awake
Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry and Parallels
Orchid
Agalloch's Pale Folklore
My Dying Bride's Turn Loose the Swans
Metallica's Ride the Lightning through Justice
Death's Symbolic
Type O Negative
Nightwish
Alice In Chains' Facelift
Old King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Early Dark Tranquillity

Ah hell, there's just too many. Mainly I guess you could say I like just about everything except for that bass-heavy, muddy, nu-metal sound and the thin ultra high pitched stuff I've heard on some black metal discs.

For acoustic and clean:

I think Opeth got these pinned down perfectly on Still Life. I also love the sounds on Morgion's Solinari and Agalloch's Pale Folklore as well as some stuff by Empyrium. Choice and quality of effects, namely reverb and delay, make a big difference here.

For bass:

Basically, I like hearing a bass that really cuts through the mix and stands out as its own instrument, not just a bottom end filler or something that follows exactly what the guitar does.
Some of my favorites are:

Rush- well, everything by them, but especially A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves
Opeth- Orchid and Morningrise
Primus- Frizzle Fry
Countless jazz, fusion, and solo bassists
Steve fucking Harris
Iced Earth- the Dark Saga
Early Dark Tranquillity

X Botteri from In the Woods/ Green Carnation- I love his guitar sound, it's quite different from anything else I've heard. Also, the lead guy from 3rd & the Mortal, crystal clear yet still distorted. And Danny from Anathema on Eternity- kinda muddy, but the way he brings those harmonics out is very cool, his guitar really says something.

My favorite guitar sound ever is from Face of Melinda, when the final outro distorted riff kicks in (7:04) after a little acoustic part...

drum sounds.... hmmm love Tool's drum sound, quite original and suits their music very well..

actually one of my favorite band sounds ever would have to be Dire Straits from their live 'On The Night' cd.. now theres a band who can use 9 members effectively! ;)

GUITAR - James Hetfield on '...And justice for all'
BASS - Tool/Sean Malone
DRUMS - Richard Christy on 'The sound of Perseverance'.

Dissections Jon Nötdveit's guitar solo's in songs like Unhallowed, Where dead Angels lie, Nights Blood etc.. they are just so god damn creepy.
To bad he went to prisson... =(

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i think you'll find it was programmed :p

anyway i like the beginning of zero by the pumpkins. and thorns, the beginning riff of world playground decet (sp?) because im using it in my media film :D

Hehe, mayb. Zero is a great song....... *sings*
Cos emptiness is lonliness,
and lonliness is cleanliness,
and cleanliness is godliness,
and god is empty just like meeeeeee

Originally posted by godisanathiest

Hehe, mayb. Zero is a great song....... *sings*
Cos emptiness is lonliness,
and lonliness is cleanliness,
and cleanliness is godliness,
and god is empty just like meeeeeee

yeah i listened to a live version of that song awhile back, from their last song, where he said ...is empty just like YOOOOOOOU, where i can only imagine he pointed at the audience. i prefer that version.

and anything by Tool is great. have you lot heard Maynards Dick? (relises this may sound a bit gay, fuck it i will continue) play it to someone, then after, tell them the lyrics :lol: , then they change their minds about the song. (its on the Salival box set, as a hidden bonus track at the end)